AuthorTopic: [WIP] rpg mockup tile set  (Read 9053 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: [WIP] rpg mockup tile set

Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 10:31:29 am
Feron, next time please consider a more gentle approach to asking someone if they've ripped, if your evidence is so flimsy.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #11 on: June 10, 2007, 02:34:49 pm
Okay, my post seemed a bit harsher than it should, but as it was obvious you referenced from SoM, I thought it couldn't go unnoticed. The flowers for example are almost exactly the same. On the other side, yours seems to fix a lot of problems with the original SoM graphics, such as the small ridges being too harsh. You could learn a deal from the colour use though, as you are lacking some saturation here and there. To avoid a big fuss around this (it's not necessary, your piece is unique enough to stand by itself), here's the style comparison. It's interesting to note which parts work better in which image.

It's a very interesting study anyway, one which I tried out too years ago...

SoM - yours:

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: June 10, 2007, 02:57:41 pm
i think a huge number of people started out learning from SoM etc; particularly people who read tsugumo when they began.

one of my early tilesets, for RPGmaker 95.  same story really, although with a few different problems
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 03:03:19 pm by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline +peter

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: June 10, 2007, 03:38:24 pm
i think a huge number of people started out learning from SoM etc; particularly people who read tsugumo when they began.

Well, that is exactly who I was reading when I first started learning! When he says things like "Now let's talk Secret of Mana 3, which is quite possibly the most beautiful game I've ever seen" A beginner like me thinks "hmmm, I wonder what it was that they did so well?"

Which is why, Gil, the flowers look very similar as they were literally the second tile I made. I was heavily under the influence of the tutorials at the time, trying to figure out just how an organic shape was pulled off using pixels. As Yosh64 stated before, they still don't work that well, and all the better reason to revise the vegetation.

As I continue to learn more, I hope my methods will help remove the similarities that exist between this and the other works that aided in teaching me the basics.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #14 on: June 10, 2007, 04:44:04 pm
I have no problem with the similarities at all ;)

I think you did a great job on the ridges. I would make the shadows a bit darker though. Try creating some more flowers with the technique you learned to see if you can reapply it.

And I think we all read and learned from that tutorial.... He posted a nice thread here by the way, check it out: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=3421.0