AuthorTopic: [WIP]Isometrics  (Read 14700 times)

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

Re: [WIP]Isometrics

Reply #30 on: June 17, 2007, 02:42:40 pm
Hey i know you guys said to go for different shapes but i really wanted to do something like this before i started on something complex. I think its coming along well! :) i have to finish the texture on the top of the tunnel and then i need some help with the desert sand.  :-X

Offline Obsidian

• Chemically Unstable
    • View Profile

Reply #31 on: June 17, 2007, 04:01:53 pm
The shading on top of the tunnel doesn't make any sense, nor does the way the road just fades out like that. I really think you should go back and finish the other pieces you started before working on all these new ones.

Offline poingo

• :B
    • View Profile

Reply #32 on: June 17, 2007, 05:04:41 pm
I really think you should go back and finish the other pieces you started before working on all these new ones.

I agree with Obsidian.  I know how it can be disheartening to have your pieces critiqued alot, with people telling you to do the whole thing over, etc. But they are just trying to help you improve your skill, which I'm sure you want, right?  Whenever people give you critiques, don't just start a new piece, which you claim will be better, and have better technique to it.  Just keep working on the original piece, applying the things people have told you.  Trust me, if you just keep working at one piece, finish it, and then move on to another, you will gain much more skill.  This doesn't just apply for pixel-art either, it works for sports, musicianship, inventing, etc.  So you can follow this philosophy:  If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.  Just try again on the same piece.  ;)
The above post may not be helpful at all, as the author usually has no idea what he is talking about.

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: June 17, 2007, 11:55:49 pm
I really think you should go back and finish the other pieces you started before working on all these new ones.

I agree with Obsidian.  I know how it can be disheartening to have your pieces critiqued alot, with people telling you to do the whole thing over, etc. But they are just trying to help you improve your skill, which I'm sure you want, right?  Whenever people give you critiques, don't just start a new piece, which you claim will be better, and have better technique to it.  Just keep working on the original piece, applying the things people have told you.  Trust me, if you just keep working at one piece, finish it, and then move on to another, you will gain much more skill.  This doesn't just apply for pixel-art either, it works for sports, musicianship, inventing, etc.  So you can follow this philosophy:  If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.  Just try again on the same piece.  ;)

i dont even get what you wanted me to do. no body said much after my last piece  :-\

Offline poingo

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: June 18, 2007, 04:00:01 am

i dont even get what you wanted me to do. no body said much after my last piece  :-\

What I, and a lot of other people want you to do, is to stick with one piece of pixel art, fix it and make it better, until you, and other's think it's ready to be labled finished.  I know it sucks when something you put hard work into gets critiqued somewhat harshly (in your eyes), but in the author's eyes, their advice is probably trying to be nice and help you out.  Just take a look at my isometric room thread.  I thought it was great after I colored it, but apparantly I have a LOT of work to do on it.  You just have to trust other people to make yourself better.  Sometimes you might have to start all over again, but the important thing is to not lose faith in yourself and others, and just keep trying.
The above post may not be helpful at all, as the author usually has no idea what he is talking about.

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: June 18, 2007, 04:19:36 am
As with drawing, in Pixel Art you improve by pixelling many and varied things.
If he feels a piece is finished, then he should move on.

There's no point sticking to the same thing if you aren't motivated to do so.

Offline poingo

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: June 18, 2007, 05:31:03 am
If he feels a piece is finished, then he should move on.

There's no point sticking to the same thing if you aren't motivated to do so.

You have a point there, but if chigsam keeps starting up pieces, only to stop them right after someone points out something wrong with it, he/she may never learn.  I realize people learn differently, but it may be easier for chigsam to learn if he/she tries to polish a single piece as good as possible, instead of starting new projects all the time.  I'm by no means making him/her stay on a piece, I'm just giving my opinion, and trying to help him/her.