AuthorTopic: Comic People Thing  (Read 2923 times)

Offline Tymoguin

• View Profile

Comic People Thing

on: June 14, 2007, 12:39:35 am
I'm making sprites for a comic I want to make and I really wanted to get some crtiques on them before I started using them. Oh, and I realize that one of the guys is too tall- this should be fixed shortly. 

Work In Progress-

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Re: Comic People Thing

Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 01:00:57 am
Hey! I am assuming you are new, considering this is your first post, so welcome to Pixelation! I really love the style in these peices, but the shading could use more contrast, and maybe add some colors for highlights? Anyways, I like this peice, keep it up :)
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Zee

• I wish I could have an avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 01:02:10 pm
This is entirely a stylistic choice, but I'm not fond of the solid black outline. Or at least use some AA and mix the dark shade into the images.
Also, they're weakly shaded. Throw some shadows on there for good measure.

Offline Sqorgar

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 02:25:17 am
The facial expressions on the plant are very emotive. Very good. However, I'm a little concerned about the mouths on the people. I'm not sure that you'll be able to have enough definition there to get the different between a smirk and a smile. With the woman in white, the mouth is too close to the chin area, which has a lot of dark pixels, making it very difficult to make out the expression (if you are going 2x pixels, this probably won't be as much a problem).

The black outline and light shading will make a huge difference when you try to place these characters against a bunch of different backgrounds. What works against a dark busy background doesn't always work against a light solid color, so you really need to show these characters off against several different backgrounds to make sure they work. The definition of the plant's stem could be lost in a busy dark background, for instance, so you might want to use lighter colors there to make it pop out more. Only way to know is try.

Pixel art comics... what will they think of next...?  ;)