AuthorTopic: Pokemon trainer Lollige  (Read 15747 times)

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Pokemon trainer Lollige

on: June 08, 2007, 08:37:20 am
And yes, lollige has a pokemon trainer now too  :P

How I started:
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 08:40:16 am by lollige »

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Re: Pokemon trainer Lollige

Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 02:09:27 pm
um, wheres the shading?
also youre stance seems strange, the legs are too far from eachother, the knees could be a little more defined (could be done through shading maybe) and the right (our right) arm looks very wrong. I he's about to through I would expect a more straight arm instead of holding the forearm away from the body and making it hang down from there.

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 06:33:29 pm
um, wheres the shading?
also youre stance seems strange, the legs are too far from eachother, the knees could be a little more defined (could be done through shading maybe) and the right (our right) arm looks very wrong. I he's about to through I would expect a more straight arm instead of holding the forearm away from the body and making it hang down from there.

Most pokemon trainer sprites do not use that much shading.. only shadows..
I think you are right about his left arm.. ill make an update asap  :)

Some more info about my WIP:

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 06:37:39 pm
You don't even have shadows. Shadows = shading. You know, that's where the word shading comes from. shadow-shade-shading. Pretty much if you lack shadows you lack shading, and you lack shading, which the pokemon sprites...do not.
So yeah, look again, and shade.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 06:44:11 pm

LOL.  how do u think things are defined?  Shading is different colors representing shadowed surfaces adding to the effect of VOLUME, which suggests that something isnt made out of paper.

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 06:52:37 pm
You don't even have shadows. Shadows = shading. You know, that's where the word shading comes from. shadow-shade-shading. Pretty much if you lack shadows you lack shading, and you lack shading, which the pokemon sprites...do not.
So yeah, look again, and shade.
hmm..
I think if you would apply shadows only, you would mostly just need 2 shades per color... but you can shade with many more.. and pokemon does not shade every leg, wich is weird since its round, so it can not be lighted full, or it should be lighted from the front. for example...
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/rstrainerpics.html

You can see allmost all sprites use dark parts.. but thats used because most sprites are not standing straight.. I mean, if you see them from the front, you wont see if some parts are more near to us than to the background... and then they shade the far away part because light from top cant come there.. but my guy is standing straight, so every part is visible by the sun... atleast thats what I think  :huh:

Arm update:

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 07:13:11 pm
Your characters' legs are bent, so I'll assume he's not standing straight either. Most pokemon sprites, standing straight or not, have shading on their legs beneath their knees, unless for good reason.
() See?
Also, since this is, after all, a pokemon battle sprite, I'd think you'd want a fairly actionate sprite. You know, cause battles are actionate. And standing straight (which your character isn't doing, by the way) isn't actionate. See all those sprites in the pokemon thing? Yeah, they mostly have a fairly dynamic pose, or at least a characterized one. Your guy's kinda just standing there and, like...chillin' wit' his ball out...His pokeball, that is.

Also, the hat would be casting a shadow on the face, and the head would be casting a shadow on the body.

The idle arm is too short and skinny, and the other a bit long.

The neck should be attached to the head further back. Now it looks like the head is attached by the chin.

Honestly, I think the legs are cool, (Just shade them, and do the colored outline thing like you did with the shirt) and the face is alright (just shade it) but everything between is just too plain and boring and...paper-cut-outy to be interesting.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 08:22:20 pm

Offline Obsidian

• Chemically Unstable
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 10:21:58 pm
Nice edit Feron. :y: (Our) right arm still looks too short though.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 05:06:33 pm by Obsidian »

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 04:50:42 pm

I really like that edit feron, but im not shure if that matches style.. I think there is too much shading and folds on the t-shirt to be pokemon style, and not enaugh outline..

Ill update the legs with some shading, change arms, and add some more shading on head and work on the outline of the legs.

Update:
SHaded the legs, head, made arm longer and shorter, made arm thicker but that doesnt look good to me... now its too fat.. Why cant I make it a half pixel thicker?
any tips on how to do that? old arm included.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 05:11:28 pm by lollige »