AuthorTopic: Pokemon trainer Lollige  (Read 15745 times)

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Re: Pokemon trainer Lollige

Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 06:05:12 pm
you dont need so many black outlines, only in the darkest of places.  I would also removed the horrid inn-aa.  look at the legs of my edit above, no inner aa, and dark outlines instead of black.

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 03:39:59 pm

Offline Obsidian

• Chemically Unstable
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 03:46:49 pm
Still needs more shading on the shirt.

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 04:03:28 pm
Still needs more shading on the shirt.
ok applyd more shadow, with ferons edit as refference.. but is it still pokemon style now??  ???

Offline Obsidian

• Chemically Unstable
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 04:16:59 pm
Yes, it's still in the style. Pokemon sprites do have shading, it's just simple. But it's still there.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #15 on: June 18, 2007, 09:33:31 pm
look at the neck in my previous edit.  Then it will be pretty much done.

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Reply #16 on: June 19, 2007, 05:23:52 pm
look at the neck in my previous edit.  Then it will be pretty much done.
lol some1 noted me exactly the same on PJ, that the neck is wrong :p
I allso made the torso 1 px smaller, and then (and this was then my own idea) made his shirt some larger...

EDIT:
Oops an error.. new version:
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 05:27:56 pm by lollige »

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Reply #17 on: July 07, 2007, 11:16:28 am
long time not changed..
Here is the new version..

Got some help from Metaru on PJ, this was all done in 1 edit:
Changed pose
Changed colors
Changed eyes
Changed hair
Changed t-shirt ending

I hope you like it, C&C is still welcome :)

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: July 07, 2007, 11:57:47 am
I think it doesn't have much character to it. If you check out the pokemon trainers, they all have at least a little bit of story to tell. Like there's a shirtless punky guitar guy and a wannabe nerd trainer and a wise calm fisherman and an insane cultist and so forth. Yours is just "a guy" It's a bit flat too. Commandeer a whole 3D space rather than squeezing into 2D. It can be tough with such a small sprite, but give it a try. Imagine a big illustration in your head, then translate it to pixel art, rather than designing by drawing pixels. Quite often you need to know exactly what you want before starting with a small sprite. Also don't be afraid of foreshortening and things in perspective. If it feels awkward to do it, the better the reason to try and learn. If there's still trouble, draw your character on paper and then translate it to pixels.

You've already made good progress from your initial dude, and i'm sure you can make it even better!  :y:

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Reply #19 on: July 08, 2007, 09:45:08 am
I think it doesn't have much character to it. If you check out the pokemon trainers, they all have at least a little bit of story to tell. Like there's a shirtless punky guitar guy and a wannabe nerd trainer and a wise calm fisherman and an insane cultist and so forth. Yours is just "a guy" It's a bit flat too. Commandeer a whole 3D space rather than squeezing into 2D. It can be tough with such a small sprite, but give it a try. Imagine a big illustration in your head, then translate it to pixel art, rather than designing by drawing pixels. Quite often you need to know exactly what you want before starting with a small sprite. Also don't be afraid of foreshortening and things in perspective. If it feels awkward to do it, the better the reason to try and learn. If there's still trouble, draw your character on paper and then translate it to pixels.

You've already made good progress from your initial dude, and i'm sure you can make it even better!  :y:

Thanks for your reply!
You are right about the character thing.. I did not think of that.. And since this is just a sort of a portrait of 'me', I dont think I can add that much of a character now.. But you are completely right, this could never be used in a pokemon game this way. I have a disorder, witch causes that I allmost cannot imagine things like this.. So 99% of when im making pixels, im just starting with it, and finishing with something different, without any idea's, or story or another form of depth. So drawing could be an idea, but im very bad at drawing.. I have locomotionic problems (I hope I say it right) as well, and I very happy I dont need it for pixel art, since I can zoom in, and change every pixel every time again, instead of with drawing, when you make a mistake you cannot easy correct it..
So these are just fully my problems.. For now ill just leave the 'art' part out of pixel art (like alot of pixel artists do) and focus just on making things nice to look at. Im sorry.

Thanks for your compliment, but im not shure if I can get it better at this point.