AuthorTopic: this time a hand made character- need crits  (Read 12957 times)

Offline piotrek255

• take it easy -_-
    • View Profile

this time a hand made character- need crits

on: June 07, 2007, 06:59:49 pm
16 colors, done in 1 hour
edit -> edit---> edit-> full edit WIP ->
 edit ->
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 10:54:45 am by piotrek255 »
my way of the pixel? -> minimum effort, maximum quality 0_0

Offline PippySaid

• View Profile

Re: this time a hand made character- need crits

Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 07:35:33 pm
He kind of reminds me of Jean-Luc Picard from Star Trek. On another note it looks alright, he seems a bit out of proportion and the shades should be more noticable on his shirt because it almost looks as if it is a solid colour. And you really don't need 16 colours for a piece that looks like it could be done in probably 10.

Offline Zee

• I wish I could have an avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 08:05:05 pm
Theres no sense of weight to that gun at all. He doesn't have to struggle to hold it or balance it. His arm is cradling the butt of the gun like a baby,

Other then that, I like it.

Offline Krut

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 08:35:13 pm
Hey:

Basically the main problem with this is bad color usage, along with some anatomy problems;

On the lower part of the body, you have some high contrast going on between the 2 tones used there, the lightsource is flawed in the way that the char reacts to it; you could use some integration of the colours, manage those grays and include them as highlights on the pants/legs.
Im also not too fond of the pants/shoes, youve integrated them, in a way they seem like kiddy-pajamas; give him some shoes or something like that, you have the colours to create them using the grays of the gun.

On the upper part, we have the opossite, theres not enough contrast, we have a light red thats barely noticeable up the contrast of those shades, and the same can be applied to the facial features and shadows casted.

The lightsource you have used like i said is flawed, as it doesnt seem to be casted in the same way on all the part of the char, so for instance you should definetely have a highlight on that bold head, and theres none
Im not sure of what that red and black lines on the head are supossed to be (headband?) so you might want to look into that if its a design feature.

I would also add some more logical highlights to the gun, more contrast and a variation of hues on the gray colours.

I also think that you could use some variable weight/colour outlines instead of that selout right now, as i feel its not making the piece better.

You could also apply some AA if you manage to create a good reusable shades colour pallete.

Anatomy wise, i feel that the shoulder position feels uneasy, too squarish i think. Also, acording to the perspective his left shoulder should be a little bit more towards the torso of the char.

The position of the legs/and feet seems a bit too Chaplin-esque to me, might want to look on them.
I dont understand what the left hand is supossed to be doing, or what those white things on the side are, also his right arm seem to have some unexplicable "BUMPS" on it, check that too.

If you need an edit just give a shout.
Looking forward to the progress on this, because regardless of the extensive ammount of critique i gave, i quite like this sprite, keep rocking  :y:

-Krut.

Offline piotrek255

• take it easy -_-
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 10:03:50 pm
i added some serious changes and updated the sprite in the first post.

Krut-> thanks for this large comment, if you see anything you think needs improving, please retouch and post, for me  it's the best way to learn.
thanks again for your comments people!

Offline Krut

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 10:07:59 pm
Clearly an improvement in many areas, but could be more polished.
You should leave the original to compare, and just so the original comments dont loose their context, working on an edit right now.

EDIT: Ok, heres something you should take in account, its not pixel perfect by any chance, but it shows in practice some of the things i wrote before.

-Krut
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 10:54:21 pm by Krut »

Offline piotrek255

• take it easy -_-
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 09:17:27 am
wow, great remake... and it probabbly took you about 20 minutes....now i see what you had in mind, thanks for the help:y:

Offline Krut

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 02:40:00 am
wow, great remake... and it probabbly took you about 20 minutes....now i see what you had in mind, thanks for the help:y:

No problem, all the help that you need as long as you keep pushing it;
Show us some new progress!

-Krut.

Offline piotrek255

• take it easy -_-
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 09:04:45 am

ok, from your update krut i noticed that the problem was in the position of the character. legs and his general shape, so here's an update.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 09:13:07 am by piotrek255 »

Offline piotrek255

• take it easy -_-
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 06:48:45 pm
krut: no matter how long i look at it, your edit looks much better than my character.... i noticed that the lightsource in your edit is from the top left side, could you show me some edits with different light sources? this would improve my skills by a LOT

btw, thanks :y: