AuthorTopic: [WIP] Mushroom  (Read 9585 times)

Offline Obsidantion

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Mushroom

Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 09:33:47 pm
Thanks Krut. I much prefer your style to my noisy dithering especially for a game environment where you wouldn't want too much detail on the screen at once so players may identify objects easily. Your edit was extremely useful, I practically copied it and it has taught me about that comic-esque style I like. I left the mushroom at a slight tilt because I think it looks interesting.

Edit:
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 04:54:54 pm by Obsidantion »

Offline Krut

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 09:49:09 pm
Personally, i like this aproach better aswell, though, i wasnt implying that you should leave it as comic-esque, it all depends on where you want to take it.

Remember though, to apply antialiasing to the sprite, and you can still dither to make the transitions smoother between one tone and another...or if you want the transitions to be really pronounced, you should at least antialias them.

I also think that that black may be a bit too much, change it for a dark red or blue.

Keep it up.

-Krut

Offline piotrek255

• take it easy -_-
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 10:05:39 pm
great stuff! I'm amazed of the progress you made from that first piece 0_0
my way of the pixel? -> minimum effort, maximum quality 0_0

Offline Obsidantion

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: June 07, 2007, 10:24:33 pm
I'm not sure how I would continue to dither or antialiase this now, or how it could progress. I'm not very experienced with using the techniques of pixelart.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 10:46:47 pm by Obsidantion »

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #14 on: June 07, 2007, 10:56:08 pm
if this is for a REAL game or even a mockup you need to take the background color into consideration, as i hope it wont be #ffffff white!

Offline Krut

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: June 07, 2007, 11:12:07 pm
Hey man, just apply AA, heres a little bit of a rush example on the bottom part of the head.

-Krut

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #16 on: June 07, 2007, 11:26:49 pm
Wow, that's a heck of a lot of progress in very little time. The blue you've added to the shadowed side is a nice touch, though I agree that the black on the stalk needs to go. Bring some of that blue into the shadowed part of the stalk. Also, consider some hue shifting throughout the piece. Feron's right, though, lose the white background. :)

Offline Obsidantion

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: June 08, 2007, 04:51:06 pm
I've expanded the image into a small scene. I intend to apply more detail with the techniques I've learnt so far in this thread but I thought I would post my attempt at the basic lighting before going on to do so, I'm not sure that I've got it right (the grass lighting in the bottom left is an experiment).

Edit:

Also I've updated the 5th edit with dithering and ambient lighting on the stalk as suggested.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 05:00:25 pm by Obsidantion »

Offline Zee

• I wish I could have an avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: June 08, 2007, 04:59:21 pm
Just wow... tree needs texture, so does the rest of that grass... you're good at this.

Offline Krut

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: June 08, 2007, 05:05:42 pm
Fantastic progress man, may i suggest some sort of fireflies and little people interacting on the scene?

The lightsource seems correct, though watch for the mushrooms on your right, they should be darker (specially the last one on the right).

Remember to start replacing those hard black lines, and make good use of the AA, you can really take advantage of that since its a scene, if you also go out, and use some intelligent pallette integration, you can come up with some interesting colours on the piece.

Keep at it, its looking great.

-Krut