AuthorTopic: [WIP] Mushroom  (Read 9588 times)

Offline Lawrence

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Mushroom

Reply #20 on: June 08, 2007, 07:52:06 pm
Nice work on this so far. On the newest piece I'm sensing some lighting discrepancies though. Looking at the shading of the mushrooms, and the shadows they cast, it seems you might have started shading the tree with the highlights a little too far to the left.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #21 on: June 08, 2007, 11:17:34 pm
i would replace the giant mushrrom in the middle, it just doesn't look righ.  Good work so far, i can see this piece possibly being featured, we havent had a featurd piece for a while.

EDIT: damn typos, i can't type wen im drunk  :-\

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #22 on: June 09, 2007, 01:04:30 pm
Great progress! I agree that this should be featured when done.

The grass shading on the new one doesn't work for me yet, but you'll fix that eventually...

Offline Obsidantion

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: June 09, 2007, 06:03:36 pm
I haven't gone into detail still because I'm working on the fundamentals. In the scene some gnomes are trying to catch a glowing fly of some sort, maybe to use in a lantern, and one gnome is just having a nice relax against the tree. Thank you Zee, I’m quite stuck on ideas for the textures, they have to conform to the style of the piece. Could I ask for an example if you had anything particularly in mind? Thank you Krut for the ideas (I'll go into your more detailed suggestions after I've covered the basics). Thank you Lawrence for your well observed objections to the lighting of the tree (I hope I've managed to improve that). Thank you Feron, that giant mushroom was out of place (those things I've replaced it with are meant to be fungus rings). Thank you Gil, I have tried to improve the grass a little but if you have suggestions I will be glad.

Edit:

I’ve tried my best so far but there is a lot to improve upon.

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: June 09, 2007, 06:06:02 pm
wow that is really awesome! For the texture on the hair make it little lines of 2 or 3 different colors is all i can say. Nice job on the grass!

oh and ne last thing, the steps look like hotdogs add a little texture to them

Offline abzdragon

• cupcake unicorn.
    • View Profile
    • Fishbowl Designs

Reply #25 on: June 10, 2007, 05:03:01 am
Ive enjoyed watching the progress on this piece. My advice would be to make the gnome's arms a little shorter. The one reaching up in particular looks far too long to me. I also agree that the last step looks surprisingly like a hotdog. Lookin' good.

Offline Obsidantion

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: June 11, 2007, 12:33:48 am
I meant the gnomes to look like they have hoods on Chigsam, but even then they should have more texture such as folds. Your right about the hotdogs (fungus), the whole piece needs texture now. I can see that abnormality now Abzdragon, their arms are too long. I think I might approach that problem by making the rest of their bodies bigger. Because of the nature of some of their positions, lessening their arm length doesn't appear feasible to me (such as with the highest gnome, holding on to the fungus). I'm truly stuck for ideas on texture, which is essentially what I think this piece needs now, so I'm going to do some research and see what I can learn. If anyone has some ideas on the matter I'd be grateful to hear from them.