AuthorTopic: Trying with bigger objects  (Read 1902 times)

Offline Xenon02

• View Profile

Trying with bigger objects

on: January 24, 2020, 07:54:19 pm
Hi everybody !

I've decided to make something bigger (you know like 120x140 or something like that)
I tried to make a hand, I think it's not that bad, but somebody suggested me to take it through filters but I thought it was just a shortcut, or maybe should I.

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Re: Trying with bigger objects

Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 12:13:51 pm
Perhaps you would like more contrast even if it's just color blocking, just so you can visualize things better while studying.

For complex tridimensional shapes, I suggest always starting with pencil on actual paper, breaking down shapes into primitives such as cylinders for the phalanx and spheroids for the finger tips and the palm pads.

In this take, the middle finger is a little too curved considering the index finger is more relaxed. It so also looking a bit noodle like instead of divided into finger sections, but that can be a consequence of the (still) small scale for that amount of detail.

It could very well be this curved but then ring finger would be more clawed as well, since these fingers tend to no be so anatomically independent of each other unless forced into positions.

Keep it up, it's an often repeated saying, but hands are hard, I have a lot of trouble with that.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 12:31:15 pm by Vinik »

Offline Xenon02

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 02:04:49 pm
Well ok I'll try drawing on a sheet of paper, to be honest I was drawing more in pixel art than in a piece of paper :D

Offline Chonky Pixel

• tequila_ben
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/187855.htm
    • https://www.facebook.com/chonkypixel/?modal=admin_todo_tour
    • View Profile
    • Chonky Pixel

Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 04:53:00 pm
I had some success with big objects when I basically traced the outlines of the main shapes in the desired resolution, then filled in different areas with block colours. Then I added in detail.

It was helpful to me to separate the detail work from the overall shape.