AuthorTopic: BIG, short, animated, flashy, obscene and not pixel-kosher  (Read 3530 times)

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT
well...well...

I post this...to get C&C (I do not plan to work on this anymore) on the animation and the design ( the idea of the character's action, the simplistic design that attempts to show depth, the timing, the pallete, the flashy subliminal-ish effects. things like that). Definitively dont want to hear about pixel-perfect stuff, I KNOW very well it's far off.

Pixel-perfection was the last thing in my mind, This was a mandatory assignment for a horrible class given by a terrible animation teacher.

The assignment was to rotoscope over a very bland live footage. Evidently I said screw it and did whatever the fuck I wanted  ;D :blind: I drew over a couple of the frames, then simplified the design and in the end I ended up having a good time doing it and spent 20hours on it, many of them correcting the earlier work since it had little forethought.

INFO & REF
This is a character who is spied on by an old woman across the street, the woman belives he fucked and then killed somoene. The animation is meant to illustrate the woman's fantasy about this guy's level of perversion.
The likeness is of a real person, a couple of frames are drawn over real life footage, and the clothes design is that of the real clothes, except for the pallete.
There is a reason for his pallete, this was made as part of a film short project where every prop or clothing had to be black white or red, so I did the same in the animation and used these colors to emphasize objects of interest.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 05:31:46 am by Conceit »

Offline Zee

• I wish I could have an avatar.
    • View Profile

Re: BIG, short, animated, flashy, obscene and not pixel-kosher

Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 12:06:11 pm
I love it, it's crazy cool! Although, I just have to wonder two things. How did the knife get drawn and two, how does he not seriously wound himself doing that? Even a fantasy image, still, it's awesome in my eyes.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 12:56:20 pm
this would be extremely bette in my opinion, as a simple straightforward animation without any flashes and pauses besides those that would denote the swing of normal human motion. I'll edit for clarity if you want.

Offline vellan

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 01:27:00 pm
i totally agree with helm

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 01:54:48 pm

I just noticed that Firefox at least, fucks up the timing of both gifs considerably. Plays them very very slowly. Save-as on desktop and see it in your animation program.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 02:57:56 pm by Helm »

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 08:54:11 pm
oh, I know what you mean helm....the anim originally had no flashes whatsoever, I added them when I was done with the motion. I had a few more flashes earlier on...but I cut them down because of this reason.

in Pixelation you can see the anim over and over again until you notice every little thing about it, but the anim is meant to be part of the header of the short, so you'd usually only see it once before the tile comes up...and I was wondering if anyone would actually pay enough attention to the actions the character does if it only showed once.

I decided to use the flashes in black/red/white to emphasize important things about the action, like you said browsers fuck up the timing, I think in their original quicker FLASHIER form they arent as intrusive. Personally I think they work fine until he licks the knife.

truth be told the part that I least liked was the part when he licks the knife and the crazy zoom/explosion thing triggers. As soon as he licked the thing I wanted the anim to enter into a different pace, his mouth to open his wide his skull to disassembled like a snake's skull when it lunges at someone, then his tounge to sorta come out as if it were being vomited all the while a zoom not ruled by perspective but by the most attention grabbing elements becoming bigger would close up on him until he was right in front of the camera.

I did that part in a hurry though, so the movement after he licks the knife  sorta blends too much with what was going on before so I tried to break up the action more by having a bunch of flashes go on while he licked the nife. The attraction-zoom thing wasnt well planned so the disasselmbling skull and vomited tounge didnt really come trough, in the end I just used a lot of drag&drop to make a jump-in-time anime style effects to make it look half-decent. if you look at the 6th to last frame the shading is even cropped in the place where the original border of the pic was.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 08:56:39 pm by Conceit »