AuthorTopic: When I grow up I want to be a robot  (Read 8945 times)

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Re: When I grow up I want to be a robot

Reply #10 on: November 03, 2005, 03:03:43 pm
I really like your stuff and I wish you would finish them more.

...I'm trying to practice composition methods simple enough that I would be comfortable making animated game sprites with, not so much to create images that stand on their own.

I completly agreee with that, and I think this is a perfect composition for that, but dont let this become just an excuse you used to counter helm in this topic, start animating this tank, now.

Dont put it off, if it seems so hard you have to put it off your simplicity focused composition is all wrong, start animating it, start with basic colors and as few outlines as you can, then build up to this but dont let the inspiration that drew you to make the tank halt before you've started animating.

if there are any changes you should do to the model, it would be simplifying it,so forget about extra shades, posters and Helm's compromises.Eliminate as many outlines as you can, if an outline isnt necesary to describe a shape, if it's there for style then get rid of it, they do nothing more than geting in your way when you animate

when you can see how many frames you can create, and how tedious it is to shade each one of them, that is when you have the judging elements to decide wether or not you need more detail.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 03:16:09 pm by Camus »

Offline MadToaster

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: November 03, 2005, 03:36:12 pm
it's too soon any time earlier so forget about extra shades posters and Helm's compromises, just animate.

Doh, I followed up on Helm's advice before reading your post. I realized  "I want to get better at pixel art" contradicts with "my work is good enough", so that argument is in the rubbish bin now. I don't think I did it right but I hope it's a step in the right direction. I can see a comprimise though. It would be easier to animate with block colors like the first version then make a second pass addingl the texture work.

I appreciate your advice guys.  Every so often what I thought was a 8 out of 10 turns out to be much less when I realized what else is out there.  I will be animating this, Camus, but first I'm gonna finish my entry for Adam's contest.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 10:21:42 pm by MadToaster »

Offline Filax_666

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: November 03, 2005, 07:19:25 pm
This last edit is realy nice, great improvement. I cant understand where the lightsource is though...

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #13 on: November 03, 2005, 10:25:22 pm
ideally you need both texture/detail and animation. the metal slug pic is a good example. Especially for nonorganic stuff like the tank, texture on the parts is not a big fear for animation since you'll be rotating and skewing stuff a lot, and redrawing very little. I like the newest version, definately a step in the right direction. I'm not compromising, I don't know what Camus is talking about to this end, but seeing how he's given animation so much thought, he must know something I don't.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #14 on: November 03, 2005, 11:29:03 pm
not really heh, you said something along the lines of "you could compromise and make something a bit more detailed" so that's what all that was about.

mainly my point is that madtoaster should try animation around and test the grounds before he goes and commits himself to something he cant do, better to have him animate this well with a simple shading than to have him make 2 frames of an action and then quit because its too hard.

I think the new version is pretty good, it all fits pretty well, and I think that's a good direction to go in with the shading, but I dont think the bolts fit...like at all :p, your tank has a very diferent style of form and details than metal slug tanks, yours is more polygonal like Yoji Shinkawa mechs (MGS and ZOE concept artists) while metal slug is kind of oldschool.

not to mention that it would be boring (atleast for me) to draw all the little bolts every frame...unless maybe you're using promotion and you can make them a brush (which I cant).

about the whole rotation/squishing deal....I'd agree completly if this were a real tank, but it has legs, you better animate this more like a living being than as a tank because it will be a bit obvious that you're rotating stuff around otherwise, not to mention that it's pose doesnt lend itself to rotating/skewing limbs.