AuthorTopic: When I grow up I want to be a robot  (Read 8941 times)

Offline MadToaster

• View Profile

When I grow up I want to be a robot

on: October 30, 2005, 09:15:27 pm

I'm starting to feel more comfortable abou the idea of thinking in forms rather than lines on a flat sheet of paper. I also tried out an approach to break down the composition process into smaller simpler problems and I'm curious if anyone else does this.  First I made a pallete out of grey tones so I could focus completely on shading. After it was done I then tweaked the pallete to add saturation and hue. I felt more in control and less like I was driving a race car and knitting a sweater at the same time.

Oh yeah and robots are cool. I use to draw nothing but robots back in grade school.  :P

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Re: When I grow up I want to be a robot

Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 09:32:00 pm
I like it!  Yet it is rather rough.  I’m not talking about that back leg I mean all around rough.  With one lighter green as an AA color and possibly an extra shade you could smooth this work out a lot.  Or you could even try using your lightest green you already have and smoothing out the bot.  Another thing that is bothering me is its front right leg.  If I’m modeling this in my head correctly I see another step down* to the bottom... If you can understand that.  Add another shorter column of pixels on the right side of the leg.  I understand the perspective yet straight lines bother me.
Proud to be a BMS team:

Offline Alex

• clrclrclrclr
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 10:45:25 pm
holy jesus, you dont even know how much inspiration this thing just gave me. im sure david is going to love it just the same.
alexander

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 12:45:52 am
Looks like something out of FlashBack :D

absolutly lovelly. graeat nothing of 3d, and speaclly a really cool pallet. keep it up. bring some more in!!

take care.

Kazuya Mochu
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline MadToaster

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 01:17:52 pm
Thanks for the encouragement guys. Mercury, I do agree about the sprite needing a few more shades. I'm gonna start experimenting with 5 to 6 rather than only 4. It would also help out when trying to pull off the illusion of depth.  I felt so good about this one I've decided on my forum avatar.   :P

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 01:44:10 pm
Thanks for the encouragement guys. Mercury, I do agree about the sprite needing a few more shades. I'm gonna start experimenting with 5 to 6 rather than only 4. It would also help out when trying to pull off the illusion of depth.  I felt so good about this one I've decided on my forum avatar.   :P

Looks nice, but that toaster (haha lame pun) on its back seems lacking to me... maybe adding a quarter-circle to the back of it, or wires/cables connecting it to the body (also from the back of it)...

Or going with the whole depth theme, you could add a second one next to it, and nearer to us, using your lighter half of the palette... 

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 03:34:35 pm

not finishing the edit, you can see where it is going. underdetailed I'd say, and not enough attention paid to the volumetrics. Study how light hits various primitive shapes. I really like your stuff and I wish you would finish them more.

Offline MadToaster

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 01, 2005, 04:35:37 pm
I really like your stuff and I wish you would finish them more.

I've been confused about how my work could become more finished then I realized that we probably have different goals with pixel art.  I really enjoy looking at the pinup and fine art quality work that gets posted here, yours included, but I'm trying to practice composition methods simple enough that I would be comfortable making animated game sprites with, not so much to create images that stand on their own.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #8 on: November 01, 2005, 05:01:43 pm
fair enough. A good balance can be achieved ( thinking metal slug for this type of work, personally ). I'd like to see yours animated though to see if it stands better like that.

Offline Darion

• View Profile
    • Portfolio bitch

Reply #9 on: November 02, 2005, 01:27:42 am
Reminds me of metal gear rex.

I would suggest something the justify the simplicity of your work. Hue changes in the pallete, maybe? You could add japanese posters all over him; maybe a mob or something stole it. I'm not saying you have to go overboard; I want to sex with your work, but I think sometimes you could take it further. This is mechanical, though, so I can understand it being harder to stylize.
@darionmccoy