AuthorTopic: [WIP]The blobs  (Read 23071 times)

Offline fawel

• View Profile

Re: [WIP]The blobs

Reply #50 on: June 09, 2007, 06:26:14 am
Hey Chigsam, I really lol'd when I realized that you were only putting everyone's comments off only because you were concerned about how the sprite would look against the background.  You need to make things like that clear at the beginning man :)

Offline dragonrc

• View Profile

Reply #51 on: June 09, 2007, 09:36:16 am
I think your outlines could be a tad darker and less saturated.
Here is an edit to show you what I mean:

(left is my edit, right is your sprite)
Also, you should put the color of your background as background color instead of green when you are pixelling like in my edit. This way you will know how it will look ingame.

edit: accidentally uploaded it as a bmp at photobucket :yell:
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 02:23:00 pm by dragonrc »

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #52 on: June 09, 2007, 10:09:50 am
Now that you have contrast, why did you add dithering? looks very ugly at anything above 1x

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

Reply #53 on: June 09, 2007, 11:04:51 am
well i added a little dithering on my pink guy becuase i gt bored :blind: and i guess i forgot to take it off.
on the zombie i purposel dithered becuase i thought it would make it look rough

Offline Krut

• View Profile

Reply #54 on: June 09, 2007, 06:55:36 pm
Hey man;

With the pink fellow, theres some extra pixels around the  "crotch" area, where the left leg meets with the body, (compare with the blue one, and that pixel is not present there).
The colour you are usign on the eyes its practically a wasted colour, since you are only using it there, and you could probably use the colour of the mouth.

You alsol have some minor contrast issues in the "zombie" (as you call it) fellow, darken the outline a bit.
And by the way, you call it a zombie; if he is supossed to be a monster version, give it som darker features, like red eyes, eyebags, maybe some fangs, whatever; right now its just the blue version of the pink one.

Do you feel ready to now try the walking animation with the pink blob? Try it with your newest version, and post the results.

-Krut

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

Reply #55 on: June 10, 2007, 10:42:05 am
Pink Blob:
Darkened the outline
(how did i miss this ???) Made the eyes the outline color
Got rid of most dithering

Zombie:
@Krut : he isn't aggresive they don't want to kill you they just follow you like the lifeless beings they are
Darkened outline
Got rid of most dithering

Wow i think im almost ready for my animation  ;D

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

Reply #56 on: June 10, 2007, 01:41:21 pm
attempt  :ouch:

Offline Obsidian

• Chemically Unstable
    • View Profile

Reply #57 on: June 10, 2007, 04:39:10 pm
The blob itself looks decent, but the animation is much too choppy, and doesn't really resemble walking. If you looked at just the silhouette, it would have no readibility at all. Use that kirby image someone posted as a reference.

Offline Krut

• View Profile

Reply #58 on: June 10, 2007, 09:25:09 pm
Basically what i did here is correct some loose ends that you had on the sprite itself (AA, better handling of the shadows and highlights)

Then i took an edit on the animation itself.

Your biggest allie when animating are mirrors; Even with something as basic as walking (that everyone is supossed to know how it works)...is to watch yourself do it; observe what moves, what comes first, the pacing and what happens when you do it.

Then sketch it out; draw the rough key frames, some preffer silhouttes; fill the rest of the frames. Does it make sense? do you understand with it being a sillhoutte what its supossed to be doing? if the answer is yes, keep going, if not, you need to review

After you feel good with it; flesh it out! put the colours, decide how the lightsource and shadows will vary, what kind of character is? a walk can show you the personality of the char; is it confidente, goofy, sneaky? it all depends on the animation.

Pacing and timing is very important; when you walk for instance (and that was one of the things wrong with your walk) is that many things happen at the same time; Not only you move one leg at a time, the other stays behind for a split second, knees bend, feet rises your overall height decreases at some point and you recover it at others.

Timing is giving that keyframe more or less emphasys; some movements are more long in time than others, others are affected by the starting velocity, or recoil; all of this you must take in account.

I also added more frames; You had 4 and now it has 8; though it can work pretty much flawlessly removing 2 transition frames; you can also make a good animation in 4 good keyframes, the problem with your animation is that you didnt use them good; you only moved one leg at a time, and the other stays in the same position; like i said, get a mirror and watch yourself; Does your other leg stay in the same position?
Observe, you are no longer looking, but watching, how it works, how it moves.

I gave your character a particular personality, try to study what i did there, and apply it once more with a brand new walk, lets see what you can do!

-Keep pushing it, this isnt a talent, is a logic thing, if you try and persevere, youll get better, is as simple as that.

-Krut

Offline skeddles

• I love these emoticons.
    • View Profile
    • Skeddles.com

Reply #59 on: June 10, 2007, 09:29:09 pm

-dancedancedance-

Its kind of hard to tell if that would look good or not. The whole body need to shift more, not just the legs.