Poll

Whose smiley templates are your favourite?

Turbo (1)
3 (1.2%)
Turbo (2)
1 (0.4%)
alkaline
4 (1.5%)
setz
0 (0%)
Pixelfish
2 (0.8%)
ejay (1)
0 (0%)
ejay (2)
2 (0.8%)
Presley (1)
0 (0%)
Presley (2)
1 (0.4%)
junkboy (1)
29 (11.2%)
junkboy (2)
9 (3.5%)
robotriot
2 (0.8%)
philipptr
1 (0.4%)
Feron (1)
0 (0%)
Feron (2)
0 (0%)
Gil
1 (0.4%)
The B.O.B (1)
2 (0.8%)
The B.O.B (2)
1 (0.4%)
dragonrc (1)
0 (0%)
dragonrc (2)
0 (0%)
dragonrc (3)
1 (0.4%)
miascugh
0 (0%)
ptoing
13 (5%)
Hishnak
3 (1.2%)
Xion (1)
2 (0.8%)
Xion (2)
0 (0%)
Xion (3)
1 (0.4%)
Xion (4)
3 (1.2%)
Xion (5)
4 (1.5%)
Xion (6)
0 (0%)
Xion (7)
0 (0%)
Xion (8 )
1 (0.4%)
Kclic
0 (0%)
Rydin
1 (0.4%)
Draco9898 (1)
0 (0%)
Draco9898 (2)
0 (0%)
Lawrence
16 (6.2%)
AdamAtomic
4 (1.5%)
skeddles
5 (1.9%)
Monsoon2D (1)
5 (1.9%)
Monsoon2D (2)
17 (6.5%)
Adarias
0 (0%)
Pixel32 (1)
0 (0%)
Pixel32 (2)
0 (0%)
Pixel32 (3)
0 (0%)
fil_razorback
0 (0%)
Noveroth
6 (2.3%)
Ensellitis
2 (0.8%)
Saxamaphone (1)
0 (0%)
Saxamaphone (2)
0 (0%)
Alevice (1)
0 (0%)
Alevice (2)
0 (0%)
Flame
0 (0%)
Panda
15 (5.8%)
Alucard (1)
1 (0.4%)
Alucard (2)
2 (0.8%)
1st (1)
0 (0%)
1st (2)
0 (0%)
Chalk
7 (2.7%)
snake (1)
5 (1.9%)
snake (2)
14 (5.4%)
snake (3)
1 (0.4%)
snake (4)
9 (3.5%)
RosenCrantz
2 (0.8%)
Faktablad
13 (5%)
Dusty
0 (0%)
Perciv@l (1)
15 (5.8%)
Perciv@l (2)
15 (5.8%)
CODEONE
0 (0%)
8bitty
8 (3.1%)
Muffin
9 (3.5%)
Xooxer
2 (0.8%)

Total Members Voted: 100

Voting closed: June 10, 2007, 09:36:24 am

AuthorTopic: Smile 2007 - The Voting  (Read 50333 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Smile 2007 - The Voting

Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 01:58:53 pm
It's easy to knock down the opposing view when you attribute them a 'hardass/strict mask'. Nobody likes a 'hardass/strict mask'. Nobody likes to be told to 'fuck off'. But there's no 'hardass/strict mask' and no telling people to 'fuck off' going on.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 02:14:04 pm
The mod team is made out of like 10 or so people, and not all of them are active right now (so far only 5 voted), so a single vote will change the whole thing.

then what is the point in having mods that don't do anything...

I think the community should count for more than one vote.  I agree the mods will see a more practical side of what will work best with readability, and fit with the forum, but this is a community board, and I think theres a lot more than 5 members of the public who are going to use these smileys.

Just seems a bit stupid that 20 people could want one smiley but 5 mods want a different one....  We all have to use them (if we chose), why do mods have priority?

Krut - you seem to exagerate things out of proportion, and a few of your posts seem to attack the mods.  Please don't otherwise they'll set their goats on your ass, and that is one fight i do not wish to see...

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 02:53:00 pm
then what is the point in having mods that don't do anything...

If that isn't a rhetorical question, here's the answer: none, which is why if after some months some mods are still inactive, they will be removed from the roster, and new ones recruited. This has happened a few times already.

Just seems a bit stupid that 20 people could want one smiley but 5 mods want a different one....  We all have to use them (if we chose), why do mods have priority?

Because it's their forum, obviously.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 03:01:08 pm
Lighten up guys!

P.S. snake 4 is the best.

Offline Krut

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 05:27:52 pm
Helm:
I was writing a PM, but as i re-read your last post i felt it needed to be public, because; a) Is a public issue at hand, and b) i tought that my words were being taken too literally, maybe missunderstood, when all i was trying to say in the first place in a very respectful manner (read first post)  is that it didnt seem right to exclude the community like that, arbitrary at the very least.

I think the motives were clear;  basically that the users made practically all the smilies, that its the same user data base that construct and breathe life into pixelation as the very escence, they will be using it; and most basically than all of that, it would have been more fun.

Im confident in the matureness of the mods, that if i say "fuck", they wouldnt come jumping out the window crying, because theres nothing disturbingly wrong with that word, theres no reason to be so rigid and serious all the time.

And about the strict/hardass mask, well, thats how it feels when you read a response like Panda´s  with stuff like "i couldnt care less if you agree or whatever", thats not the response of someone that listens, thats a rigid/strict response....i dont see how you cant think the same.

But this, ticked me off man, and i say it in a very personal level towards you.

Because it's their forum, obviously.

I mean what kind of response is that? ...i was under the impression that there was a community thing going on.... If you dont value the users input, then fuck, make a personal myspace, and all you modders can play house all you want.
Thats not the original spirit of pixelation, this forum lives trough the comments and input of their users, of mutual help and learning, just like you have said it before; Pixelation is not Tsu, not Pep, and certainly not Helm and rest of the modders.

Do you guys have been a very important part on this? FUCK yeah, ill be the first to acknowledge, and recognize you guys for your labors.

So, it really strikes me ass odd, that YOU take that position.

My 2 cents, on something i feel had to be said, maybe not on the best manner like you guys said on my use of the F* word, and whatever, and if they are my last words here, so be it...as long as you guys at least take this in consideration what i said...because eventually, this could end up killing this community, that believe it or not, i too have very fond memories of.

-Feron: Im sorry you feel that way, im not trying in any instance to attack the mods now, nor i have in my previous posts, rest confident however, that they will prolly let me know if i did something wrong. Its been a while since ive been here, when they threw me out of here last time, wasnt on the best conditions on my part, thats clear; but when i joined here, was with a clear intention of helping out people, just like i was helped in my start, and just like i helped while i was here.

And in the words of Forrest Gump; "thats all i have to say about that".

-Krut

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #15 on: June 06, 2007, 06:11:35 pm
If this issue is important to the community, it would make sense to re-adjust any future votes to involve the community more.
I could see how it may be unprofessional or not in the best practice to interupt the current voteing for such a change described though. I hope you all agree, and that such concernes be voiced prior to an actual vote taking place so that there can be time for adjustments to be made if they are necessary. And if there is ever anything unclear, there's nothing wrong with asking. Pixelation would be nothing without the members whom visit it, so the mods definitely listen.

Offline Krut

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: June 06, 2007, 06:19:53 pm
I dont think the issue itself is of a particular relevance; it was mostly the fact of arbitrarialy excluding the comunity and the response offered.
I also dont think that the "i wont listen/dont care" attitude has been a common situation either, thats why the endevour of Helm and Pan striked me as odd.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #17 on: June 06, 2007, 06:31:17 pm
This is my own opinion, but I think their responses were based upon a preconcieved belief that there was much distaste to how the current voteing is being handled, which may be true. And so their reply was built upon frustration or surprise since they had no expectation of such a response.
This is why I suggest these concerns be brought up prior to any voteing occuring, so that re-adjustments may be made to satisfy the community better. Doing this, everyone can better handle things.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #18 on: June 06, 2007, 07:09:52 pm
I mean what kind of response is that? ...i was under the impression that there was a community thing going on....

The community didn't choose the skin colors of this forum, or the banner, or the way it's structured. That's why the smileys are a bit more in the hands of the moderators than the userbase. Because we want to keep the forum looking good. This is largely thankless, like most of the modrating duties I and others have been burdening themselves with for oh, the last 4 years or something? So please relax and see where I'm coming from. You're kicking up a lot of dust over smileys of all things. Why does it disturb you that the modration has a stronger voice than the users when it comes to matters of aesthetics? Are you paying the server costs? The forum is used by the users, but it belongs to the administration. As such, the administration may change how it looks when it suits it. That it asks the userbase on input on things does not mean any different. People read the thread and decided to make smileys because they like making things, it was never implied that we'd use more than one set, and which set would be mostly up to the administration. In the end, only one set will be used (this time around, and that's a 'probably' there) so even if the userbase chose it, the rest of the hard work by the other people wouldn't be met with inclusion. But is it wasted work? It never is when one practises and becomes better.

If you dont value the users input, then fuck, make a personal myspace, and all you modders can play house all you want.

Pipe down, we do. Their word is not law when it comes to how the forum looks, is all. A lot of people wanted the old pixelation blue for sentimental value, for example, and that was absolutely murder for critique purposes, so we didn't keep it. If we had put it up for a poll, we'd be swimming in blue, baby.

Thats not the original spirit of pixelation, this forum lives trough the comments and input of their users, of mutual help and learning, just like you have said it before; Pixelation is not Tsu, not Pep, and certainly not Helm and rest of the modders.

I'd appreciate it if you didn't dictate the 'spirit of pixelation' to me, because it becomes rapidly insulting. You're not trying to understand the other point of view, you're just lashing out. Please calm down and try to consider alternate points of view on the subject. I've been here a long time and I'm not perverting the spirit of pixelation, I'm working quite hard, for nothing, to perserve it. So respect more, shout less.

Do you guys have been a very important part on this? FUCK yeah, ill be the first to acknowledge, and recognize you guys for your labors.

How, by lip service and then striking out the first second you seem to percieve a problem in your two days being around after a many years' worth of absence? This isn't very fair, not to mention calm and rational of you.

So, it really strikes me ass odd, that YOU take that position.

Which position? That the forum will not look as the userbase wants it to look, but ultimately as the administration wants to? Yes on that one. That is my position.

My 2 cents, on something i feel had to be said, maybe not on the best manner like you guys said on my use of the F* word, and whatever, and if they are my last words here, so be it...as long as you guys at least take this in consideration what i said...because eventually, this could end up killing this community, that believe it or not, i too have very fond memories of.

Yes, please stop swearing, you can make your points clearly enough without.

About killing Pixelation... hum all this internet drama about smileys will kill a community that has been around for years and years? In fact the forum has been the strongest it has ever been in many years right now, and I take a lot of pride personally for keeping the place as straight as I can and focused on artistic betterment. Some people might not agree with how things go, but a lot of people benefit and will continue to benefit. Smileys or no smileys. As long as people want to learn and want to help others with pixel art, Pixelation will be around.

So, in closing, please calm down, please be more considerate of the particulars of the situation.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 07:12:29 pm by Helm »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #19 on: June 06, 2007, 07:26:58 pm
Also, on the old pixelation we did not even have smilies to begin with :P
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.