AuthorTopic: Commercial Critique - Dodonpachi  (Read 95539 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Commercial Critique - Dodonpachi

Reply #60 on: July 13, 2007, 01:21:25 am
BUT I'm asuming in-game the butt is in a lower layer, and you can hover over it, since it seems almost as dark as the bg...

Your assumption is correct.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #61 on: July 18, 2007, 05:20:11 pm
Wow, I'm so late with this, but that video really showed something I didn't know about this game. It does the massive horizontal parallax thing. Something I've never really enjoyed in games, but it does a LOT to make the foreground pop out, especially in a game where you never want to stay in the same spot for more than half a second.

The orange thing background is still pretty ugly, though...

Offline inkspot

• View Profile

Reply #62 on: July 20, 2007, 12:51:52 pm
Ok, I am new to these kinds of threads and I really haven't got the time to read al the posts right now. I haven't played the game also, but nayway here is my opinion.
Yes, the graphics are very good, but what amazes me the most is that the structure and technique itself is quite simple. Its just lots of geometrical shapes. Colouring is fairly good, I've seen better and a lot worse. But I cut some slack to the colour detail in effects, if its pure pixel of course..., its amazing! Ofcourse I haven't seen the animation, but screens show at least 50%. However, the thing that bothers me the most, is the fact that so much detail is cramped up into such a small screen, which means I have to use some sharp glasses to distinguish my ship from others. It seems to lack a focal point of some sorts - -similar/same contrast and values all over the place. Of course I haven't played it so I really don't know what it feels like, but anyway, here is my opinion.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #63 on: July 20, 2007, 05:29:03 pm
Wow, I'm so late with this, but that video really showed something I didn't know about this game. It does the massive horizontal parallax thing.

Massive horizontal paralax? ok you lost me there Rox, what are you talking about? I think horizontal paralax I think....Castlevania:Symphony of the Night intro=horizontal scrolling, not a vertical scrolling shooter......?

Has anybody heard/know anything about dai-ou-jou? I read a comment about it being HARDER than dodonpachi regular in youtube...so I looked up some vid
http://youtube.com/watch?v=UgZVdRyNmNI
Seems it was released for Arcade AND PS2! from what I can see just on that vid, they changed their tactiques and the background now has a lot more contrast, nearing black at some areas....I wonder if they went with prerendered?
anybody who has this game, can confirm, deny, whine? :p

EDIT: I defintively think they took care of the contrast issue in the Sequel...is that hero ship pre-rendered?

The following screen puts the enemy in the background quite effectively, and also confirms they did employ some pre-rendering on the sequel
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 07:17:21 pm by Conceit »

Offline grendel

• to bee or not to bee?
    • View Profile
    • artblog

Reply #64 on: July 21, 2007, 12:14:57 am
All newer Cave games (after DDPactually) are mostly prerendered.

I have alll the availableCave shmups on PS2. The arika ports (DDPDOJ and EspGaluda) are VERY solid. Mushihime Sama and Ibara are OK.
The backgrounds are quite desat actually, I do not think there is any black there.

About hardness. When you play DOJ for the first time it will rape you and it will keep on raping you for ages.
Basically it's made for people that clocked DDP both loops.

(ptoing here on grendels)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 12:20:17 am by grendel »
pirates arrrrr cool! Art|Blog

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #65 on: July 25, 2007, 01:10:51 pm
Seems it was released for Arcade AND PS2! from what I can see just on that vid, they changed their tactiques and the background now has a lot more contrast, nearing black at some areas....I wonder if they went with prerendered?

Yeah everything is prerendered besides the things that are painted (some background elements). No pixel art.

And DOJ is very evil. I played it for a few hours with ptoing at a meet and I couldn't get over level 2 I think, was it?

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #66 on: July 25, 2007, 01:25:49 pm
I think you actually managed to beat the 2nd boss once, but you bombed the shit out of him. :D
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline leroy

• Go with the flow
    • View Profile

Reply #67 on: August 13, 2007, 03:24:19 pm
Those screenies are truly amazing, countless details.

Reading all you talk about it makes me want to try it out too, gief gief now.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #68 on: August 25, 2007, 05:06:45 pm
Massive horizontal paralax? ok you lost me there Rox, what are you talking about? I think horizontal paralax I think....Castlevania:Symphony of the Night intro=horizontal scrolling, not a vertical scrolling shooter......?

I mean when vertical shooters have horiziontal scrolling. The play area is a little bigger than the screen is, so you have about half a screen (or more depending on the game) that you can't see if you stay in the middle. When you move sideways, the "camera" follows slightly. And in some games, but not this apparently, the enemies scroll a bit lower than the background, giving a very noticable parallax effect.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #69 on: August 25, 2007, 05:41:29 pm
DDP is 320x320 on a 240x320 screen.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.