AuthorTopic: The Official Pixelopolis Off-Topic Thread  (Read 44964 times)

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Re: The Official Pixelopolis Off-Topic Thread

Reply #20 on: November 02, 2005, 12:30:22 am
What I just can't understand is why the spirit on halloween seems to be dimishing the way it is. I mean, how can anyone say no to a holiday devoted to dressing up in outlandish costumes and having everyone give you free sugar to gorge yourself on? :'(

Offline Evan

• Marv-O
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: November 02, 2005, 12:48:46 am
Hehe, to make some stickers, I ordered 50 postage labels from DHL

Or at least I thought it was 50. Turns out it was 50 sheets of 4. My mom is pissed.

Hehe, just wait until the 100 sheets from USPS arrive XD

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: November 02, 2005, 02:25:18 am
What I just can't understand is why the spirit on halloween seems to be dimishing the way it is. I mean, how can anyone say no to a holiday devoted to dressing up in outlandish costumes and having everyone give you free sugar to gorge yourself on? :'(
I think it might have to do with some pretty negative things going on in the media and the world at the moment. Some things that have come to mind are the scares over the past couple of years about people finding razer blades in their candy and large media attention directed towards stories of children being kidnapped. I also think the media obsession with fattie children and how we all need to banish fats from our diets, probably made some parents feel like keeping their kids at home this year. I was talking to my Dad about this, and he thought that the terrorist attacks as of late are also likely playing a role in these declining numbers as well.

I dig that, crab. Have you got an online gallery or something? I've always dug your stuff, but I haven't seen much of it.
Nah, no gallery. I've only been doing this pixel thing for a little over a year now, so I haven't built of much of a gallery to show. To illustrate my point, here's one of my firstl pixeled pieces, and here's something I finished recently
old==
new==
Still got a ton to learn, but I think I've improved quite a bit. You can see, at this point, a gallery would more likely result in embarassment than flattery :-[
Glad to see I've got a fan, though. I keep telling myself that I'm improving, so it's nice to actually hear it from someone else for once. :) I have been meaning to post a zombie RPG tileset for crits, but I keep redoing it everytime I find a flaw that irks me. When I do get around to posting, it there should be a bunch of stuff to look at like: zombie walk animations, vehicles, people walk animation, portraits and of course the tiles.

Offline monkeysquat

• Deje el mundo cambiarle, y puedes cambiar el mundo
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: November 02, 2005, 02:30:18 am
I  just watched Dawn of the Dead and Shaun of the Dead last night.  They are amazing movies, and I now consider them to be among my all-time favorites.
Shaun of the Dead is my all-time favorite movie  :P. I haven't seen Dawn of the Dead or the two other old Romero zombie flicks, but I did watch Land of the Dead recently. That movie was... amazing. In my opinion, it's the best serious zombie movie (Shaun of the Dead being the best general zombie movie, of course  ::)). I was cheering for the zombies.

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: November 02, 2005, 07:16:34 pm
Those're nice, crab.  I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Heh, we all suck when we start out, more or less.  I think we should have another of those posts where everyone posts some of their first work and their lastest/best.  Or, a challenge where everyone revamps their old work, like they had on Latent Medium once.

Offline Overkill

• View Profile
    • i make video games

Reply #25 on: November 02, 2005, 08:17:14 pm
Hey! Someone (I suspect Kael/Hiretsukan) changed my name to "Overkill, stinky VERGE user"! That hurt. I have a delicate musk, not stink. ;__;

Offline Sawtooth

• growin' a beard
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: November 02, 2005, 10:31:44 pm
yes the spirit of halloween has left most of the people of the world, this isn't the fist time i've ever heard it...

Really?  I thought it was just because I was older and was participating in the halloween festivities less and less.

rumors of razorblades and kidnappings have been around since forever.

Not trying to troll or anything (honest), but maybe the rise of the religious right and halloween's latent paganism have something to do with this perceived decline?
rip ninjalicious

Offline Evan

• Marv-O
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: November 03, 2005, 12:07:03 am
Heh, speaking of religious right, are televangelists getting crazier? I don't get cable in my room, so I end up watching either UPN or the christian channels. I saw one preacher with an eyepatch saying that "pokemen are the second birth of SATAN! If you send me money, I will singlehandedly take down this blatant front to god."

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #28 on: November 03, 2005, 12:19:30 am
Sorry I haven't been around much lately. I've been trying to get a new job, and the job hunt has been taking up all my time. Fortunately today I got the most exciting news that NAMCO is interested in my artwork and is either interested in having me work as a art director under their mobile division or a marketing director ( setting up booths for E3, creating print and web campaigns, etc.. ) so we'll see what happens, sounds like a dream job. Whats everyone else up to around here?

Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: November 03, 2005, 12:33:16 am
yes the spirit of halloween has left most of the people of the world, this isn't the fist time i've ever heard it...

Really?  I thought it was just because I was older and was participating in the halloween festivities less and less.

rumors of razorblades and kidnappings have been around since forever.

Not trying to troll or anything (honest), but maybe the rise of the religious right and halloween's latent paganism have something to do with this perceived decline?
I don't think the pagan link is too much of a problem, religion has been around for a while now and beliefs have been a lot more hardcore than what we see now. If halloween didn't die then, then I don't think it's going to be killed all of a sudden now.

My parents are pretty religious and they often raise objections to things they would associate with the devil like horror movies or Harry Potter for example, but they have little problems with halloween. I think they recognise that for the majority it's simply a junk food, dressin' up once-a-year tradition. There might be some people who treat it seriously, but they recognise that these people are a tiny minority. The only thing that really bothers them is having to get up to hand out candy every minute.

Sorry I haven't been around much lately. I've been trying to get a new job, and the job hunt has been taking up all my time. Fortunately today I got the most exciting news that NAMCO is interested in my artwork and is either interested in having me work as a art director under their mobile division or a marketing director ( setting up booths for E3, creating print and web campaigns, etc.. ) so we'll see what happens, sounds like a dream job. Whats everyone else up to around here?
Sounds like a great job, dogmeat, hope you get it..

and...

if your not too busy...

maybe you could help sneak me into E3 come next year ;)