AuthorTopic: Super small  (Read 8687 times)

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Re: Super small

Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 11:33:05 am
You don't need to post images in 200% since this forum has a zoom function.
Just click on an image in a post and it zoom in you know.

Offline willfaulds

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 11:37:08 am
Yes i know. the intended use is 2x so I post in this format (the 1x is really for anyone interested in trying an edit) so that

• people definitely view it at 2x

• and certainly on my machine the built in zoom feature is blurry

Having said that I think I will alter the images at 1x to links...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 12:57:46 pm by willfaulds »

Offline Lee N

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 12:50:39 pm
• and certainly on my machine the built in zoom feature is blurry

Are you, perhaps, using Opera as your internet browser? It interpolates images when zooming by default.

Direct your browser to the following address and uncheck the Interpolate Images option.

opera:config#Multimedia|InterpolateImages

Anyway, this whole "100%, 200%, 1x, 3x" thing needs to stop. It depends on your monitor size and what resolution you're running. Zoom level is not a fixed way of indicating visual size, it's all relative.

Offline willfaulds

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 12, 2007, 01:05:07 pm
nope not opera. i run firefox and safari...

i understand the whole relative issue but you must also understand that displaying it at 2x (this is how it will be displayed/saved in-game) is the correct way to display it, for criticism(?).

it may not look the same to everyone but they will at least be seeing what they would see in-game...

Offline Lee N

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007, 02:16:28 pm
i understand the whole relative issue but you must also understand that displaying it at 2x (this is how it will be displayed/saved in-game) is the correct way to display it, for criticism(?).
2x.. at what resolution? You're missing an important part here. If the engine is running at 320x200 at you're displaying a 32x32 sprite at 2x then it will take up 1/5th of the width of the screen. But if the engine is running at 1024x768 a 32x32 sprite at 2x would take up 1/16th of the width of the screen. On my monitor (running 2048x1536) the 32x32 sprite at 2x will take up 1/32th of the screen. What's 2x on your monitor might look like 1x (by your standards) on mine, and actual 1x would look.. well, pretty f-ing small.

This is why it's stupid to tell people what zoom level they should be using when looking at the sprite, because it's different for everyone.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 02:58:41 pm
*le sigh* Lee N, if you are using an LCD screen (As i'm sure most people are here) then 2x is not just about size, its about reducing subpixel shading/distortion from the ordering of the crystals.  Also, regardless of the size of the monitor, 2x WILL be clearer and easier to see than 1x.  Period.

Offline willfaulds

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: July 12, 2007, 03:26:20 pm
This is why it's stupid to tell people what zoom level they should be using when looking at the sprite, because it's different for everyone.

Did you not understand my last post?

This game engine, as with many (think about browser based games) will not alter you're screen resolution (or any screen setting for that matter)... What you see here is what you get. Yes this will be altered by the specific setup each person is using. BUT specific to them it IS what they would see in-game.

That is the point of displaying a sprite at, or telling people to view a sprite at, a specific level of zoom...

Further more are you telling me you would alter your screen resolution to view a sprite? Or perform a calculation to work out its relative size? I just don't see that being practical at all...

Offline Lee N

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: July 12, 2007, 05:02:50 pm
My point is, let people zoom the sprite to their hearts content, to whatever level they see fit. That's what I always do. As for the browser game, the same should apply there, let people scale the game to an appropriate size relative to their monitor and resolution. If you're making a game that's "just right" for your monitor and resolution and force people to play with that setup then it might be too small to play for someone else.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #18 on: July 12, 2007, 09:41:20 pm
Lee N, no one is misunderstanding you.  We just don't agree with you that it actually matters.  Both Will Faulds and I have made that clear.  Please get back on topic!!  And no, that doesn't mean post another OT reply here claiming that this post is OT.  Thanks.