AuthorTopic: Stan's Dump  (Read 8513 times)

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Re: Stan's Dump

Reply #10 on: June 03, 2007, 06:16:22 am

So for the first time I have an actual reason to make tiles. A friend and I got together to make a smallgame in our free time and I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to get some experience. So above I haveeh started a mockup of the space station even tho it may not look as so.  :'(

Edit: As well as trying to do a proper fighting sprite this time around. It's suppose to be a bit of lax pose.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 08:03:33 am by madartiststan »

Offline dragonrc

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: June 03, 2007, 06:46:54 pm
The back arm of the fighting character should be placed more to the left (behind the character.)

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #12 on: June 03, 2007, 08:37:46 pm
It's good to see that you're improving! The fighter looks nice, could use some anatomy tweaks but it works well. The pants need work though. And the space station needs a structural redesign, it doesn't look like... anything recognizable.

Generally, i advise you to look at reference. Specifically, space stations and baggy military pants, for the wrinkles and shading. :)

Also, i enjoyed mr lips, even if the hue shifting is a bit extreme, it looks different but good.

I think you should push yourself for finishing these small pieces. There's a special pleasure in looking at something and declaring "it's done baby". That, and you will notice growth as an artisan.

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: June 03, 2007, 09:31:43 pm
Thanks alot Turbo! And yeah I need to start looking for references.  :P

But as for the sprite:

I was trying to go more for "poofy" pants rather than military camo. Almost like down feather pants. I have no clue why, at the time I was trying to be unique I suppose. And I had put a few edits about the fighter sprite, as well as getting some down on the further out arm. I've also tried bringing the closer arm, closer to the body of the fighter as well and tried to make him look more like he's crouching a bit. But I want to keep it lax sort of stance.

I realize the far arm is a bit to slim and that the elbows on both need work but I'm getting there.

As for Mr. Lips :P, I've since tuned down the hue shifts a bit as well as the dithering some. I'll post an update when I do some more.

Edit: Reworking the far arm. Made som echanges around the neck area with the shirt.

Edit 2: Made some adjustments on the far arm. I know the readability is down quite a bit and I'm working on that. Fixed the view of the his right foot (our left). And I'm trying to go with a look as if the pants were padded as well as the vest.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 04:57:03 am by madartiststan »

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 10:30:02 am
Anatomy issues again. Get reference. Work from reference. Sketch humans from reference. Check your proportions. Right now you've got too-short legs, slightly short torso, and a too-big head. Did a quick edit addressing these, but not the stance:

Also, I agree with Turbo, in that you should really try and finish some of these. At the very least the promising ones.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 10:31:50 am by LoTekK »

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: June 06, 2007, 04:30:03 am
I'm planning a different pose for my fighter as that one is far TOO stiff and uninteresting. I'm going to handdraw it first and use as reference. But until then, I've been working on a screne.

What comes first, is the gian paintbrush. I plan on it being ironic art in the end. But here's a WIP:

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #16 on: June 06, 2007, 09:18:17 am
I say finish something first. You keep beginning on new projects...

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: June 07, 2007, 06:02:41 am
I'm really trying to finish up this latest one. As I like the scene I have in mind. Anyhow,

Update:

This shading I had to remake, the original shading looked so much better. But I powered down my comp using the power button + hold and lost it. :[

Edit: Really trying to finish this one. Is hard finding colors for straw like appearances. Crits please.  :)

« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 05:59:35 pm by madartiststan »