AuthorTopic: Stan's Dump  (Read 8512 times)

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Stan's Dump

on: May 31, 2007, 07:22:59 am
oooehhh, I've decided to try and improve my tile making skills as well as my ability to make different textures. I figured I'd start with grass as it's usually pretty hard to make look really good on tiles period. :D

« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 06:09:51 am by madartiststan »

Offline konix

• View Profile

Re: Tiles and Techniques: Textures Are A Bitch

Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 04:02:13 pm
Overall I would say that it's not too bad for grass tiles. However, the colors could use some improvement, as there's too much saturation and not enough contrast.

Here's a quick edit. It's not the greatest, but I think it should point you in the right direction.

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 04:30:52 pm
Ooo, nice edit konix. But yeah, I tried a color scheme quite similar to that and the grass just looked dead.  :mean: Tho, I will edit the ground parts as well as try to show some ground through the grass. Tho, I don't usually see ground through grass on lands. But in other landscapes definitely.

I also seem to wonder why people always make there grass lean towards a yellowish color ramp. My grass isn't yellow. :hehe:

E: I've definitely decided to do something WAY more detailed for the ground and sides, but here's an example of changes on my color ramp with hues dipping into yellows. I think the third one is the better one of the 3.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 04:41:58 pm by madartiststan »

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 07:33:26 pm
Yellow-ish highlights > green grass > blueish-green shadows
It think it just looks better than all green, even if it's minor.
I honestly don't know what it is about your colors, but the green you choose, something about it just looks... I dunno, unappealing.
Also, I can tell there's going to be a straight line repeating when you tile it, right up the middle of the tile.

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 09:34:01 pm
ahhh! Stop making so many topics :yell: I like the design, but the lower sautated edit konix made, looks more natural to me. I seem to have a think for lower saturation.....I should fix that..
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 01:33:22 am
So sorrrryy!

Got a little temporary texture for the sides and such. The difference between the two is the same green dark color on the left, and on the right a darker blue.

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 02:07:31 am
A lesson i've learned is: do not pick colors with my mind, but rather with my eyes. I doesn't matter that i know that grass is green, if it looks better pink with blue highlights and yellow shadows, that's what it should be. You can have grass not have a green color and still look realistic/really good/etc., it's just about matching the right colors.

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 02:21:07 am
To add on to Turbo's point, colors are relative. A blue object is going to look different colors under different lighting conditions. And as long as you come up with something visually pleasing, something that works, then you're good to go, nevermind that your head is telling you that flesh isn't blue/purple, for example. Look at Helm's work, for a great example of this. Taken out of context, he has a penchant for picking incredibly bizarre colors, but they work together, and they make perfect sense, from a color theory perspective.

Anyways, your latest tiles look fine, if a little overly-saturated. Personally I'd go for something more akin to konix's edit, maybe somewhere inbetween.

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 07:05:29 am

Talk about boredom. Suppose I'm just dumping the thread up now.

Basic shadows and highlights for Mr. Lips.

Introduced Mr. Lips, to Mr. Hue Shifting. It's all a bit sloppy atm 3:33AM. But I'll clean it up some more tomorrow. Right now, whatchaa thunk?

« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 07:35:55 am by madartiststan »

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 12:57:16 pm
the dithering makes the lips look really really rough. also i'm not a big fan of these colours. I think the hue shifting is a bit too extreme for my taste here.