AuthorTopic: a beginner's graphics  (Read 11213 times)

flamingpyroxxx

a beginner's graphics

on: October 29, 2005, 07:21:55 pm
hey all, im new here and im new to making pixel arts but i decided to show what ive done so far. They are mostly from tutorials, i just changed them a bit, tell me what you think:

Just a simple shed i made---

One of the first things i tried---

Changed his hair, color, added hands, body, arms, legs, shoes, made from all different sonic characters---

Made shirt and shoes---
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 07:24:17 pm by flamingpyroxxx »

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Re: a beginner's graphics

Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 09:45:20 pm
On the shed, it looks like it is floating due to the way you made the shadow (at the bottom the shadow should cross over horizontally to the left to meet the bottom corner of the shed since that corner should also be blocking the light.).
Also, if the shed is suppose to be symetrical, the center of the shed's front (between the two doors), if you go vertically up from there, it does not allign with the center of the roof.

its a good start.
welcome to the forums btw..

flamingpyroxxx

Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 10:53:40 pm
yeah i see what you mean, should i try adding a ground to it? would that help?

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005, 11:05:20 pm
it wouldnt fix the shadow problem, but it probably would make the image more interesting.

flamingpyroxxx

Reply #4 on: October 29, 2005, 11:27:57 pm
heres the updated version, though i couldnt get the line for the door to match up with the top without it looking really bad...edit it if you like (please  ;D)

added a window:
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 11:51:58 pm by flamingpyroxxx »

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 08:30:49 am
 It should have more contrast.

Offline Cyberblade

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005, 06:46:44 pm
Changed his hair, color, added hands, body, arms, legs, shoes, made from all different sonic characters---

Made shirt and shoes---

Not cool man.  Those are both from tutorials on Sonic Spriters Network.

http://ssn.sonicstadium.org/index.php?sid=tutorials&id=Beginner&page=modelfoot   The first one, almost exact.

http://ssn.sonicstadium.org/index.php?sid=tutorials&id=Intermediate&page=jacketindex   The jacket.  Colours only changed slightly.

flamingpyroxxx

Reply #7 on: October 30, 2005, 10:22:24 pm
yes i know, if you read the first part of my first post, then you would see that i said i got most of these from tutorials...
hey all, im new here and im new to making pixel arts but i decided to show what ive done so far. They are mostly from tutorials, i just changed them a bit,[/u] tell me what you think:

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 30, 2005, 11:07:49 pm
Okay.  First note: never save pixel art as .jpg.  It adds random pixels and generally messes up the artwork.  I would reccommend .png as a format to save in. 
Secondly, on to the shed.  Below is a quick sketch to demonstrate how to draw perspective-correct roofs in isometric art.

-As you can see, I started with your shed.
-First of all, I removed the colors and the .jpg artifacts from the white space.
-Then I reduced the lines to a box.
-In the next step, I drew lines connecting the corners of the face of the box above which the gable of the roof was to be placed.  These lines are not quite necessary in standard 2:1 iso, but they are helpful if you are drawing in different perspectives.  I extended a line up from the center of the "x", which corresponded to the center of the gable and thus the peak of the roof.  I drew lines from the end of the fuscia line to define the roofline.
-In the next drawing, I removed the fuscia guidelines and drew a similar gable on the other end and a ridgeline to connect the two.
-In the sixth drawing, I cleaned up the extra lines.
-I added some colors in the final drawing.
I hope this is helpful, and if you have any questions about what I did, feel free to ask.
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.

flamingpyroxxx

Reply #9 on: October 31, 2005, 01:54:35 pm
thanks a lot, that helps a ton to line things up and to sketch them out. Thank!