AuthorTopic: Gears of War (W.I.P)  (Read 3237 times)

Offline Hawkevil

• View Profile

Gears of War (W.I.P)

on: May 30, 2007, 02:17:19 pm
Heres some work in progress of the guy from Gears of War.

Before I started filling in the background i thought I would ask what could be done to maybe make it better.

Anyway heres the pic...

Any thoughts?

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Re: Gears of War (W.I.P)

Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 02:55:40 pm
Looks good so far.

The GoW characters are very bulky and they look like they're carrying half a ton of metal, so i suggest you check out some screenshots for reference. The guy is slightly flat as well as the gun. Try and set your brain into thinking in 3D even when making 2D outlines. Even if you use lineart as a base, it's good to think in volumes rather than lines. Decide the environment colors early on to get the right ambient lighting for the character and fill in the backround as soon as possible but don't start rendering yet.

In pixelart sometimes things get so small that you can't use outline to convey it and each pixel counts, so it would be a good idea to start making edges, shapes and forms with different values rathen than outline.

Looking forward to see progress on this one  :y:

Offline Hawkevil

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 03:36:32 pm
Thanks for the info. I tried to do what you said with the sprite. I think it looks a bit better but the gun could still do with something and I'm not quite sure what!

What do you think?

Better or Worse?

I think I'm going to go for a yellowish colour for the sky so would these colours fit or is it hard to tell?

Offline mangust

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 10:59:37 am
Good.
But his right hand is not correct, see on left hand is good, but in right shoulder is too small and if you paint a realistic style, work on detail and shading more (as tell you huZba). Weapon is too flat and maybe do his more bigger (barrel is too tiny). Please continue...