AuthorTopic: Dog Icon  (Read 6791 times)

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Dog Icon

on: May 30, 2007, 07:14:25 am
How do I improve this icon??
The fur doesnt really look like fur.. ??? >:(

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Re: Dog Icon

Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 09:33:10 am
Don't make it look like fur, at such a small level it's nearly impossible, it'll only make things look messy.
Focus on getting the basic shading right before you start applying textures :)

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 09:43:30 am
I have never saved it in this state.. so I remade it.. edit from the textured version...

EDIT:
Small edit  :P
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 09:46:35 am by lollige »

Offline Draco9898

• Toucan-tastic.
    • View Profile
    • Trevor Dunbar's website

Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 07:24:56 pm
Add more shading, go all the way into semi-brights to darks with a lightsource. Needs AA badly :crazy:.

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 02:31:16 pm
Add more shading, go all the way into semi-brights to darks with a lightsource. Needs AA badly :crazy:.
Where do you think I have to add AA than?
On the inside, you wont see anything then when I have added the texture, and on the outside, its going to be transparant, so then you should make new AA on every new background!! aa has to be very different on a light background than on a dark one..

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 02:58:37 pm
i certainly suggest studying what a dog actually looks like.  anatomy, skeleton, head shape etc...

Offline Draco9898

• Toucan-tastic.
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 04:20:34 pm
On the inside, you wont see anything then when I have added the texture, and on the outside, its going to be transparant, so then you should make new AA on every new background!! aa has to be very different on a light background than on a dark one..

Ummm W/e man, it's your dog. Talk about engrish.

The outlines need AA no matter what background you put it against.

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 05:13:48 pm
I agree with Feron. Even if you're not going to look into skeletal structure, muscles, etc, at the very least get some nice reference pics of the breed you're spriting, and make an effort to get the forms correct. No amount of texture is going to help if the overall forms are incorrect.

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 06:33:05 pm

Ummm W/e man, it's your dog. Talk about engrish.

The outlines need AA no matter what background you put it against.

Draco9898: No.
Not all outlines need AA. You should only apply it when you have a fixed BG or when the sprite is moving on BGs of similar color and it doesn't overlap on anything that screws the AA (of course, unless you like seeing random pixels).
AA is not the solution for everything, and you should realize that for once (as you have been giving the same "you should AA the outlines" crit a couple of times already mindlessly).

Anyway, about the dog, for a start, using a more neutral BG (gray or similar) when pixelling will give you a better idea of what colors you need to pick for your palette.
Your current palette is too dark and the the colors are pretty close to each other making it a bit unreadable.
As for texture, at that size, I would only apply it only close the outlines, otherwise it would make the whole thing less readable.
Also as many mentioned already, using references will help you quite a lot if you are unsure of the shapes.
Maybe this will help you to get the structure down and give you some ideas for textures and color: http://www.healthgene.com/canine/images/retriever_golden.jpg

Good luck with further updates

Offline Draco9898

• Toucan-tastic.
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 06:39:35 pm
Draco9898: No.
Not all outlines need AA. You should only apply it when you have a fixed BG or when the sprite is moving on BGs of similar color and it doesn't overlap on anything that screws the AA (of course, unless you like seeing random pixels).
AA is not the solution for everything, and you should realize that for once (as you have been giving the same "you should AA the outlines" crit a couple of times already mindlessly).

I see. I'm Sorry then. My mistake.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 06:42:40 pm by Draco9898 »