AuthorTopic: Little Harder Than I Thought  (Read 12707 times)

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Re: Little Harder Than I Thought

Reply #20 on: May 29, 2007, 10:13:42 pm
Stealth: At the moment I don't plan to animate this.

Lotekk: I thought I'd accomplished something to that nature with the last edit?

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #21 on: May 29, 2007, 10:24:00 pm
Stan, yeah, you did. Sorry, took me a while to write, and you had edited before I posted. See my previous edit for comments on your latest update. All this editing is going to get confusing. ^_^

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: May 29, 2007, 11:12:05 pm

Definitely a fix on the arm, brought it forward about 2-3 pixels, didn't quite keep count. Widened out the top of the hat and lengthened the legs some.

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #23 on: May 30, 2007, 01:23:20 am
Um, crap. Got carried away again. Was just gonna do anatomy changes... o_O

edit:
Forgot pointers.
You've got 18 colors, you can make do with a lot less. I've unintentionally hunched him over a mite, but the shoulders are roughly in the correct positions. On second thoughts, they should probably be raised a tad, especially his left. Blocked in the lighting and shadows, shifted the head, tweaked the head shape, added a neck, tweaked the hat (it was still a mite narrow in your last update), and roughed in the second arm. Totally carried away, sorry. :O
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 01:31:12 am by LoTekK »

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: May 30, 2007, 01:59:42 am
Thanks for the final edit Lotekk, it really helped much with the shading on the shirt, I think I'll tweak it just a bit more and call this one finished! I appreciate all the help you guys gave for me concerning anatomy and this helped quite a bit.

Lotekk: Your edit really helped me concerning the shirt and the missing arm (I was wondering how I could pull that one off), but it helped so much for me to finish it finally and get it done. I believe I have been working on this for two days.

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #25 on: May 31, 2007, 05:07:58 pm
There's still a couple anatomy issues to be addressed (primarily in the shoulders, especially his right), and the way you've shaded the bit above his left arm is looking a bit confusing. I still feel you can push this further, but that's ultimately up to you. :)

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: June 02, 2007, 07:39:58 am

In short, the guilt was killing me.

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: June 02, 2007, 12:59:45 pm
Why did you add pillowshading to the jeans? In my opinion this made the sprite much worse. You were on the right way..

That's an edit helm did some time ago. Look on the shading very closely. The gradient to the knees is much more realistic and adds much more depth to the sprite than simply pillow shading the whole jeans.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #28 on: June 04, 2007, 02:24:31 am
yeah what happened here?  you were really headed in a great direction, but then out of nowhere senseless squigglies on the thighs?  beep beep back the truck up :)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #29 on: June 04, 2007, 02:57:25 am
In short, the guilt was killing me.

what does this mean?

I think from what I've gathered from madartiststan's threads is that he's probably young, or if not that, isn't actually assessing the critique he's getting on a fundamental level. Meaning, he doesn't see why people tell him do this or that, but he does it anyway, and he's not always equipped to tell at the end, if what he's made was better than what he had before.

This sort of 'art-blindness' would require madartiststan to work on his own strengths outside the field of critique for months or a year or something, I feel.