AuthorTopic: Squid Love  (Read 4556 times)

Offline abzdragon

• cupcake unicorn.
    • View Profile
    • Fishbowl Designs

Squid Love

on: May 28, 2007, 07:43:42 pm
This is my squid character thing... Kamikaze Kalamari. (yay for misspelled words to create unnecessary alliteration)

Crits plz. :)

---- > edit:

I will tack this on. I just finished it. Portrait/sprite set of a character I named Cassandra Lion.
Experimenting with black outlines and simpler shading.

---- > edit: ---- > newer edit:
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 11:23:24 pm by abzdragon »

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Re: Squid Love

Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 02:38:17 pm
I really like that portrait!

I think you could make her farthest arm visible, so it isn't awkwardly pushed behind her. Also, all those black lines could be AA'd, especially on the vest. Cool squid too, keep it up.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 03:02:57 pm
looks good.

yeah i think a bit of AA wouldn'y go amiss.  also a slightly bit more contrast would also be better.

you also have a lot of unneccesary colors you could remove.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 03:24:16 pm by Feron »

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 03:06:04 pm
  Friggin' Lar. Right when I was about to post this. Oh wellz, sloppy seconds isn't so bad.
Any hoo, I decided to critique the squid;
    It has good character, but lacks in the contrast department. I would possibly just add 1 or 2 more lighter colors to boost that feeling of slipperyness....ness. I decided to give an edit, so you can see the difference:

The top squids are just examples of dark outlines surrounding the sprite, where as the bottom are without outlines. The 2 squids on the right(top and bottom) are just examples of different palettes, as your current selection was good, but not enough to give it more form. Hope this helps...

***Edit*** scratch that. Both friggin' Lar AND Feron. I can always settle for messy thirds...
my back hurts...

Offline abzdragon

• cupcake unicorn.
    • View Profile
    • Fishbowl Designs

Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 12:13:14 am
I will edit the game portrait later... (p.s. what colors should I be getting rid of then? skin tones?) but right now I have an update for the squid... I changed him up a bit and used some more "contrasty" colors and decided to make the outline dark all the way around. I still like the soft colors of the first one but you are right, he didn't seem to have much shape with it... hopefully this coloration defines him more:

Offline The B.O.B.

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 01:57:54 am
Although you may still be partial to the older palette you had initially, I personally think the newest version is a great step forward...at least in my opinion...then again, I do wear glasses (squints, and slides glasses back up bridge of the nose for comfortable fit.) I may post critique the portrait later on...

Thanks for listening, by the way!   :)
my back hurts...

Offline Presley

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 11:46:29 am
Made a quick edit to address some form issues, hope it helps.

I think your internal black lines conflict with your shading. Very nice improvement so far too.

Offline The B.O.B.

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 05:13:51 pm

---- > edit:

Super Edity-poo, part 2!:

I felt your initial portrait had some issues with, albeit little. Her neck was doing this strange thing where it  was thin at it's peak, but got wider/thicker as it moved down(not very natural, even by cartoony standards...). Also, her jaw line wasn't very defined. It's jaw line was supposed to be angled from the chin to the lobes of the ears, but the initial portrait looked as if it was only going towards the front end of her side burns, instead. Also, her arms seemed a wee bit big. I also opted to freshen her hair up a bit, instead of having it kind of messy(this is just a personal preference, not something that's a big issue, really). Changed the eyes up, slid the teeth a little more to the left, brightened the shirt up a bit and got rid of the blacks inside the portrait, leaving it only as the outline, and eye shadow. (by the by, just as an experiment, I decided to give the first edit some shine in the hair, and the second, I left without, just to see the difference)

Hope to see further updates...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 06:47:29 pm by The B.O.B. »
my back hurts...

Offline abzdragon

• cupcake unicorn.
    • View Profile
    • Fishbowl Designs

Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 11:23:06 pm
I took a little bit from both of your critiques :) Thanks so much! @ Bob... I know some of your stuff was stylistic preferences so I hope you don't mind I stuck more to my own. Seriously thank you for the help... she is so much improved I think... and I didnt use any extra colors for the update :O

Offline Presley

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 01:03:05 am
Good progress, however I think you need to correct the shading on the breasts. They still don't read well.