AuthorTopic: showing my Plant and Carrot,lol  (Read 2241 times)

Offline Jennie.C

• View Profile

showing my Plant and Carrot,lol

on: May 28, 2007, 04:44:02 pm
Okay, easy on me here, I'm kinda new to this, haven't done it in a couple of years, because I went to straight animations and graphics etc.
my 9 year old daughter and I were reading little tutorials online,and this is what we came up with.
I'm hoping to become WAY more advanced, so I can teach her as well...so I need all the help you all can offer :)
I imagine i'm capable of more, just a bit afraid to try,lol...currently working on a pixel house.

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Re: showing my Plant and Carrot,lol

Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 05:35:52 pm
I'm afraid I can't help much without knowing a few things about these pics:
For what style are you aiming? mor cartoonish oder more realistic?
Are these things going to stay on a white bg, are you putting them in a bigger scene?

Also I would be carefull about the tutorials, since I realised that there are many pixel art tutorials in the internet that are leading in very wrong directions.
the best site I can recommend is http://www.spriteart.com/, just look in this thread: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=3467.0 for more links.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 05:43:07 pm
Hi Jennie welcome to pixelation!  The tutorials thread is a great place to start, as philipptr says.  I think you may need to start a little before pixel art though, if that makes any sense.  This is a tutorial by a non-pixel artist that has had a huge influence on how I do pixel work:

http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm

That is linked from the tutorial's thread as well, but I am terribly fond of it, because it's kind of like a cheat sheet for art.  Good, simple explanations and nice little diagrams to explain some of the basic rules of 2D art period, irregardless of the medium (paint, digital, pixel, whatever).

Another good thing to keep in mind as you start your pixel experiments is how you are going to treat your outlines on each piece.  Developing a consistent approach will help unify your pieces in a big way.  That art fundamentals tutorial is much more important than this, but this is something that you could easily do to both your plant and your carrot to improve them some.  For example, if both the plant and the pot featured a black outline, they would look like they came from the same world.  Likewise, if the both the carrot and the carrot's planty top had dark outlines, they would look more unified.

Finally, a great and easy way to start down the path of good color choice is to work on a neutral, grayish background, rather than white or black.  It will be weird at first (because paper is white, right?) but it will be a huge help to you!

Again, welcome to pixelation, and I look forward to watching both of your progress :)

Offline Jennie.C

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 05:44:29 pm
well so far they are just for fun,teaching to be exact,lol.
the white bg was just so I could see clearly.
I wouldn't mind doing a bit of cartooning and realistic,I find it all fun,and the possibilities are endless, and you are right, I've read some tutorials that said to use gradients,and then some that say DO NOT...and that using gradients is more or less a "newb" thing.
I look to the tutorial sites mainly to get ideas of things to create,the carrot and plant were easy,and my daughter finds them fun to do too,since at her school they are learning about 2d art etc.

thank you so much for the links  :)