AuthorTopic: Animation Challenge, May 28  (Read 3840 times)

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Animation Challenge, May 28

on: May 28, 2007, 04:29:14 am
Hey guys,

If you remember about a year ago there was a little series of animation challenges that got a good response but then shortly petered out.  This is my attempt at reviving it and seeing if there is anyone still has an interest in it.

Basically the idea is the same: we will primarily work with silhouettes (only using different shades to differentiate between different limbs or layers of depth), both to encourage participation, as a silhouette animation is not as intimidating as a full on pixelled animation, and to stress the concentration on showing character in action rather than design.

So for the first animation we'll do something that can take a lot or little effort depending on how far you want to take it, so you guys new to animation can ease your way into it.  Simply a silhouette of an evil villain character laughing in a box of 64x64, no limiting amount of frames.  Remember, stress showing how this PARTICULAR character laughs, not just a simple laughing animation.  I know there was a similar challenge a long time ago on the old boards, but we have a lot of new members, and for those who did participate, well, it's been a long time  ;)

Also, I'd really like to hear your input about this activity, about what you'd like to see in future activities or just anything you think I could do better, or even specific ideas for challenges.  I'd really like this to be a community activity, so I'd really like to hear what you guys want to see to keep this activity running.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Re: Animation Challenge, May 28

Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 06:03:58 pm
I'm all for animation practice. I'm surprised nobody has responded to this. There's been a real lack, or non-participation, of other challenges lately. I'd be willing to participate, if this ever gets a flowin'....
my back hurts...

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 06:21:02 pm
I wasn't responding 'cause I'm working on something.

I, too, am all for this.

Git the ball wrowlin', Y'all!

Offline shaheen

• Hardcore Lurker
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 07:13:06 pm
*Rolls that ball*

Took about forty minutes or so. I think I might try to fix up the laziness that caused me to only have two frames for the second laugh he does. I should probably also make the belly move a bit better when he leans/stretches back.

Offline Colonel Mustard

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 12:41:56 pm
I'm too up for some animation practice, but I wonder if silhouette laughing is a great idea? There's not too many ways to laugh in an evil or sinister way is there? And alot of them requires more than a silhouette to really bring it forward. Could just be me though, but I thought I'd ask :P

Offline Rawsushi

• View Profile
    • Terrormisu - The Art of B Rosaschi

Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 01:13:44 pm
I love the idea of animating a sinister laugh, but I'm not a fan of the restriction(s). Laughs are full of subtle movements, and these can't be conveyed through just a silhouette alone.

I have to say that animation challenges should be a normal occurance; It's an incredibly important facet of the pixel art medium.

Kudos for the idea. I'll participate.

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 06:30:33 pm
I see your point about a laugh needing more than a silhouette to allow you guys to be creative with it, so feel free to go beyond the silhouette.  I'm hesitant to require it because I wanted this to be an simpler, introductory challenge that people could ease into.

This might help any problems with coming up with new ways to do the laugh as well.  And on that note, how about instead of an evil villain laugh, simply an antogonist's laugh?  It could still be an evil villain, or simply a rival, or what have you.  That should give you guys more room, I think?

Thanks for the input, guys!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 06:34:28 pm by Darien »