AuthorTopic: clown I am  (Read 6901 times)

Offline Zach

• Bear
    • View Profile

clown I am

on: May 27, 2007, 06:59:56 pm

EAT PUNAJI  BECAUSE IT'S GOOD AND TASTY

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Re: clown I am

Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 07:04:09 pm
the upper one is a bit rough, and it feels somehow like you could have used the darker shade that you used to antialiase the hair-highlights to make a bit darker highlights in the hair. those 5 lines seem a bit out of place. nice colour mixing in the face area though.
I really like the lower one. the colours work here very well too. nice job :)

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 07:12:55 pm
hmmm havent seen much of you recently....well besdies in the OT Creativity thread...anyways, I love your color choices, but I agree with Philipptr, it looks rough and unfinsihed, especially the hair.
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 01:31:13 am
As far as I can tell from your posting history, your ability to convey form has steadily decreased as long as you've been here. Also your subject-matter I find a bit worrying. Is it not enough effort on your part, or a conscious shift of focus on other aspects (form and a range of subject-matter isn't everything in art) or what?

I feel uneasy offering you specific pixelly critique when I know from experience you won't be finishing your art.

Offline Zach

• Bear
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 03:31:22 am
dude I'm just pixeling :\

I'm sorry I'm not hauling ass like you =D
but really are you really saying that I'm not getting better at all...

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 04:41:37 am
Yes I am saying I don't think you're getting better, that your stuff is unfinished and gets messier and messier and that I don't know how to help with this!

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 04:55:33 am
I don't know... whilst it's true he's getting sketchier, and his forms are becoming looser (and that's true of his pencil sketches too) I think the first clown has a very strong design, and it's only real failing is in "pixel theory". I even like the skewed lines. Seems to me he's just working his way towards surrealism.

The second clown doesn't do much for me as a whole, but I like the life you managed to impart into his eyes.

Can I ask how long these took you?

Offline Zach

• Bear
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 05:07:34 am
20-30 minute'ish
thank you for the complement!

I'm a messy person, should I try to be cleaner with my art?
I think my drawings are getting tighter though
and aren't really as loose as they used to be

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 06:08:20 am
   True, they aren't as loosey goosey as before. However, your artistic subject matter seems to stay the same, both in pixel AND traditional art. You're a great artist, man. Truly, however, your skills are begging to break out of the daily regimen, of faces, heads, and male anatomy. Now, it may be true that you have other drawings that you have posted, that aren't humanoids, or Zach-faces. I'm just going on what I've seen from you lately. I kind of feel like I'm picking on you though, cause to be honest, you're very active on other art forums( punaji), artistically, it's just that I want to see something different...where my fat folks, and nakey ladies, damn it!!!

Now on to the critiques: Top face looks good, but I personally would go with the darkest color and complete the outline of the jaw with it, instead of leaving it the way it is. In fact, just scrap that retina burning red in there, and you're sure to see some improvement. I'm actually ok with the second one. I like the choice of cool colors...[new rant] in fact, that's what I like most about your pixel work. It's your choice of colors. I wish I could find and choose colors as well as you can, but I'm still stuck in the contrast dept. I would try doing some small pixel scene, or small farm scene with some of your patented colors, to get your mind away from the tired bodies, and heads you normally do...[/end rant]

Honestly though, I hope you don't think folks are being rough with you, guy. At least from my perspective, you deserve harsh crits, as you have potential to be much better...Thar's gold in them hands, boy...
my back hurts...

Offline Zach

• Bear
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 05:10:54 pm
bob, can I hug you?

thank you dude, that was badass criticism =D

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 06:08:59 pm
I like the retina burning red, for everything else, I agree with the BOB. I also don't like the AA on the hair strands. Maybe you should look into those...

Offline Zach

• Bear
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 03:46:18 am

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 12:25:19 pm
The palette kills this. The reds definitely don't work as shadows or midtones or whatever they're meant to be.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 04:40:50 pm
I'll have to dissagree again, but the red works here Faceless, are you on CRT of LCD?

Offline Jamie

• ^ needs updated ^
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 06:23:40 pm
I'm on lcd and the red's look good to me  :y:

Love the first one i think the red's work very well for it.

Offline Zee

• I wish I could have an avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: June 06, 2007, 07:41:53 pm
I actually can't make much out of what his shape it, but then again, I may just not like the style altogether. I'm not sure.