AuthorTopic: Plants, Plants, Plants...  (Read 4490 times)

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Plants, Plants, Plants...

on: May 27, 2007, 02:56:06 am
So, I've started a series of plants I've wanted to make for a while now. This is the first one and I was hoping to get some crits on it! I know it could be loads better, I've tried hue shifting but maybe just applied it in the wrong places!

Offline Delgneith

• View Profile

Re: Plants, Plants, Plants...

Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 04:16:01 am
It looks alright but some of the shading and lines seem kind of random and it looks a bit jagged and random at 1x. Adding some highlights wouldn't hurt either. Maybe something more toward yellow.

Oh and this piece doesn't have hue shifting, just luminance shifting. According to GG you used 137 Hue on all of them

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 04:22:08 am
Oops, that was poorly stated on my part. Sorry about that!

What I meant was I had tried it but it didn't work, so I took it out. :P Also, I've tried some highlights but with the small space provided they just looked...odd. And didn't come well together at all.  :(

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 02:17:20 pm
like i said in your previous thread, hue shifting works best when it is noticible.  In daylight, direct light from the sun gives highlighs a yellow or orange (or even on occasion white) brilliance to them, as well as more saturated colors.  Shadows on the other hand are typically lit indirectly by light reflected off the blue of the sky and the red of the ground (resulting in a blue-violet tinge), and take on more dull coors, because of the limited spectrum reaching them.  because i think your leaves are most likely outside, that's the path id suggest :P
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 10:05:17 pm

a little edit I made. not much changed, just a bit cleaned up, and added one shade (and changed the colours a bit). I think what bothers me most about the original is that it's so rough.. My edit is not that great, but maybe it helps a bit.

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 02:58:12 am

Added a color, knocked out a color.

Phillip: This edit helped much as far as finding a highlight color. I couldn't find a decent color to shift too for the highlights but that's alright. A brighter green seems to work pretty well in any case. :) Thanks for the edit! And the help!

I really tried to get something from phillips edit and make something from what I got and I think I did something good! <- REALLY vague.  :D

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 01:08:08 pm
I love that color you added. That, plus Philip's highlight, and your piece will look stunning  :y:

Offline Jennie.C

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 04:45:27 pm
I have to say,this plant kinda kicked my plant in the @ss,lol

nice job!...nice edits too.

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 08:39:26 pm

And finished! Tried to take a bit more from Phillips edit and throw some extra around. His highlight color was about a pinch lighter than mine and more vibrant so I used his :o.

Jennie: Oh, well I'm pretty terrible as well!  ;) Only been pixeling a year and got serious about it maybe a month and a half ago or so. Good luck with your things! Better than my first stuff!  :)

Offline Joseph

• Shut up and pixel.
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 04:56:13 am
what about highlights?  you say you added highlights...but you really can't tell unless maybe it's on a black background.  more contrast, good luck.