AuthorTopic: New Guy, same Topic. My first attempt of Pixelart  (Read 4123 times)

Offline Arvor

• View Profile

New Guy, same Topic. My first attempt of Pixelart

on: October 29, 2005, 09:28:55 am
Hi there, a few days ago I discovered this Forum and the cool Pixel-pix posted in here.
After that I decided to share my first humble steps into Pixeling with you all.
It's out of questioning that I would appreciate C&C about my Work.
Edits are also welcome so I can see what potential may lie within my Lineart for e.g.

There it is:
-Lineart -main colors -current state 15colors+trans

as you can see there is no actual Dithering going on cuz I don't seem to have the feel for it right now, but will give it a try tomorrow.
I'm not quite sure about the AA either.
The things I most dislike are the flat area on the lower snout-chin and the folds on the Neck.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Re: New Guy, same Topic. My first attempt of Pixelart

Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 09:38:48 pm
I think the forms need to be more developed. At the moment details seem to have form, but the details as a collective whole lack a variance in depth and instead stick to a planar position.
I suggest for a way to fix this, to investigate how to incorporate the illusion of receding objects, as well as the opposite.

Offline Arvor

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 11:57:14 pm
Now the dithered version:

THX for the reply Alex
I'm going to work on the depth.

Offline pixelaro

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 07:01:08 pm
I think for beeing an early try this is absolutely great.. youre lineart looks pretty good, even tought there is something strange about his ears, they seem to be in totally different positions. Your colors is ok but a bit on the boring side. to make them more interisting is to have them a bit desarutated but to change the hue as the colors goes lighter or darker. like having brown in the middle and make it more green as it gets darker f. ex :)
If you do this you will not only get a more colorfull palette but also use less colors because you can use almost any color to antialise because all colors are a bit grey, this is getting kind of difficault to explain but i've made an edit.. perhaps it will help explaining where i come short. Other than that you should be honoured for your poiteness(is that  a word?) you seem to have a good attitude, wellcome to pixelopolis. Said the one with 7 posts.. =P

I'm aware that this edit fails in some aspects,(particulary the form) but i think you might can learn something from the coloring. The edit has tree colors ledd than the original.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2005, 07:04:45 pm by pixelaro »
:::....

Offline Arvor

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 09:51:16 pm
I like your Edit especially what you have done with the Eye.
My colors are indeed a bit boring
If I get some time I will experiment with sat and hue some more

p.s.: The Character is supposed to be a Armadillo named 'Armordillo'
As I was thinking about an motive the quick scratch I've made a Year ago came to my Head.
So I searched through my pencil drawings and used it as guideline for the pixel layout.
Because I'm kind of weak in drawing Cloth and Armor, I consider to put him into a fullplate
so I can catch two birds with one stone as I practice

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 06:09:52 am
 Yeah, the colors aren't interesting. Make sure the lighter the shades are, the more yellowish it appears. The darker, the more blueish or reddish it appears.