AuthorTopic: [WIP]Rpg character[WIP] More Updates.  (Read 12151 times)

Offline I Am Uh

• I feel... Saturated to some degree, out of tone.
    • View Profile

[WIP]Rpg character[WIP] More Updates.

on: May 25, 2007, 05:38:28 pm
This is a Work in Progress so it's not perfect yet. I would like any suggestions on stuff like Anatomy, colors, and just overall structure. Now bring on the criticism. :yell:.

Oldest>Newest>
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 04:54:36 am by I Am Uh »
They say evil prevails when good men fail to act. What they oughta' say is...
Evil prevails.
 - Yuri Orlov, (Nicholas Cage) "Lord of War"
Mother is God in the eyes of a Child...  - Rose Da Silva (Radha Mitchell) "Silent Hill"

Offline I Am Uh

• View Profile

Re: [WIP]Rpg character[WIP]

Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 06:46:16 pm
Thanks For all the criticism, But heres a little bumpdate.
Evil prevails.
Mother is God in the eyes of a Child...  - Rose Da Silva (Radha Mitchell) "Silent Hill"

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 06:48:08 pm
After 35 views and not even one hour? Have some patience dude, bumps aint gonna help you get crits. If people wanna crit this, they will. Regardless of were it is on the page.
And you can put further progress in your main post with a little edit.

Offline I Am Uh

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 06:51:30 pm
Sorry dude, Um ya I'm just really bored so My patients are running short.

Update, no replies yet?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 04:57:21 pm by I Am Uh »
Evil prevails.

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Re: [WIP]Rpg character UPDATE [WIP]

Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 03:05:29 pm
Hm, I'll give this neglected topic some crits.
Colors: The black as an internal color really isn't working here.  It isn't working very well as an outline either, but that's fine for now.  At 1x, the black makes the abs look like they're caving in or there's something funky on his belly or something.  Besides, how does one get that much ab definition through a shirt?  Loosen his shirt up a bit, use slightly less contrasty colors for muscle definition there, and it should look better. 
If you're feeling adventurous, try some hue shifting on the skin.  Right now, it's a mostly straight ramp and could be made more interesting by playing with color.

Shading: The legs look really flat, since they're shaded with the same value all the way across.  The knee tries to give definition, but it still looks like a cardboard cutout.  More on the knees later.
Also, make sure the head casts a shadow on the neck; it's not at the moment.

Anatomy:  I don't claim to be an expert on anatomy, but here are a few things that jump out at me.  Firstly, the head is very oddly shaped.  I don't know anyone who has a chin that pointy; make sure there's some jaw definition.  Also, he's looking very far up.  If you move the eyes down, he'll be looking more forward.  Giving him ears, hair, a nose, and a mouth is recommended as well.
The way his legs are shaded makes it seem that he's about to fall over backwards; they seem to be bent at a 90 degree angle.  Fixing the shading to make them more cylindrical would probably help, but keep in mind that the parts above and below the knees would probably be lit about the same.
The feet look like stumps; give him some toes!

Other: Is he wearing pants?  If he is, please make them a different shade than his skin.  If he isn't, he must be a sad man in bed.

Overall, it's a decent start, but there's a lot of work to be done to get this looking good.
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.

Offline I Am Uh

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 12:13:40 am
Update.

Any more crits?
Evil prevails.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 06:12:54 am
maybe i'm wrong from the start, but the dark pixels you added near the eyes makes the character definitely a "she" imho.
I'd suggest you drop the black outline for any "internal" pixels (such as breast lines, chin, etc.) Rather pick so very-dark shade of what you're outlining.

Btw, i'm not too sure about his/her pose. legs seems to start a bit too late and the feet are ... weird.
Also, the eyes give the feeling that i'm facing him/her, like if (s)he was looking to the sky expecting some kind of advice from the gods rather than being involved in the action.

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 02:25:57 pm
Hm.  Well, you changed some stuff, but this has most of the same problems it did before.  You fixed the looking up problem and added some more shading, which is good.  However, his abdomen still looks ridiculous and his legs are way too short.
I'll repeat what I said in my last post about removing interior blacks from the torso; it just makes it look like he's got a hole in his stomach.
Regarding the legs, here is a reference on ideal proportions (I'm sure there are better, but I'm in a hurry).  While you certainly don't have to follow those proportions on an RPG sprite, you should at least make the legs longer.  They should be a bit longer than the torso.  Also, they still appear to be bent rather sharply such that the character seems to be about to fall over backwards.
The feet look better than they did, but the shading is pillow-y and doesn't really define them as feet.  Why is he outtoeing so very much?
Like PypeBros, I am confused about the black pixels near the eyes.  They don't seem to define anything, unless they're supposed to be horns.

Overall, this shows a good bit of improvement.  However, there are still several things that could use work.  I look forward to another update!
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.

Offline I Am Uh

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 07:36:30 pm
Well I took out the interior blacks.
Legs are longer now, and tried to make it so he's not falling backwards.
Shoes are less pillow shaded.
Feet are less out toed.

Oh yeah... The black lines next to his eyes, those are ears.
Evil prevails.

Offline Zero

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 08:34:17 pm
The black lines certainly don't look like ears...change the black to something lighter and move them down a bit. Or just remove them altogether.

As for the rest of it, it's looking better now, but the arms and legs are still too short