AuthorTopic: My first attempt at pixel-art  (Read 2939 times)

Offline kazster

• View Profile

My first attempt at pixel-art

on: May 25, 2007, 08:05:08 am
Hey guys.

This is my first attempt at doing any kind of pixel-art. It's supposed to be a bomb missile. I tried adding in some damage detail to the bomb, but it didn't work out too well so I just took it out. All comments/questions/etc... are welcome.

Offline Zee

• I wish I could have an avatar.
    • View Profile

Re: My first attempt at pixel-art

Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 04:49:20 pm
Fire typically doesn't need to be outlined.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 06:11:37 pm
Fire typically doesn't need to be outlined.
Pure stylistic choice. This piece has much bigger problems then just the outlines on the fire.
First of all, it looks quite unpolished, boring and non-dynamic. The second flame is slightly better, but fire typically never gets red, it tends to go from white, to yellow, to orange, to brown. The shading on what seems a tube formed torpedo of some sort, is flawed. The light typically doesn't fall right on top of it, since that's impossible. The lightest highlight is not big enough. What kind of lightsource falls in a thin line on a torpedo? Also, light bounces of the ground also, so the underside is mostly lighted a bit too. Also, maybe some ambient lighting from the flame on the torpedo?
Here's a little edit:

Offline kazster

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 06:16:10 pm
Wow! Looks alot better!

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 06:18:28 pm
My edit of an edit (note - the front of the missile and the flame shape itself could use a bit of work):

This is mainly just to show that you can still use high contrast or bold colors but still get a nice smooth finish to your surfaces.  This is good for action games where you want to be able to clearly see the projectiles.

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 12:33:58 am
I think you had good contrast on your initial one, one of the things that is frequently hard for people taking their first steps in pixel art to get right.
I think it just needed better definition of the cilindrical and fire volumes, careful usage of outlines, a better shading for the fire (usually, you shouldn't try to add a line with an in-between color between two other colors, doesn't work too well. Instead, make that inbetween color part be an area that merges the two parts together).