AuthorTopic: My first pixel art  (Read 5244 times)

Offline Supper

• View Profile

My first pixel art

on: December 22, 2019, 07:54:07 pm
Hi! Well, this isn't necessarily my first pixelart, but it's the first one I decided to post here. I created an account in this forum because I want to receive criticism and \ or tips and improve them. I don't know how to draw and I've tried to learn a lot of styles, but I couldn't get stuck in any of them ... Until I tried pixel art. I don't know why, but I liked and really like to draw (even though I'm bad at it for now)

Offline Kallory

• View Profile

Re: My first pixel art

Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 11:50:53 pm
Hey, I'm brand new as well to Pixel art, so this is by no means the critique of someone professional.

I like your shading. One of the things I've been focusing on as a beginner is making sure my light source is obvious, and yours definitely is.

There are two things that I think could really spice this up.
1) Make the ground more interesting. I've recently experimented with grass myself and a super common pattern I'm noticing is for a 64x64 or less resolution, simply two or three pixels coming up with one diagonal pixel offset to the right or left makes or easy grass. Also my personal style is to have bumpier ground, but yours still works, but for learning purposes see if you can experiment and get away from the straight line. Like I said, I think if you added some obvious vegetation coming up from the ground then you wouldn't even need to shake that straight line up.

2) You can do a whole lot of easy stuff with skies. Simply a lighter shade of of your background in the right pattern can make easy clouds. I've seen straight lines with another, smaller straight line of the same shade directly above it. Or for something more sophisticated, doing something more roundish also works. Also, adding in a middle ground creates quite a bit of spice. (Mountains, hills, more ground with a color that's closer to the background than the foreground, etc)

Take my critique with a grain of salt, as I'm in the same boat as you, but in my opinion you're doing great, keep practicing.

Offline Xenon02

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 10:41:52 am
I'm not the proffesional here so take my critique with with distance.

If I were you I would start with drawing small things, in small resolution like 32x32.
And check out how to use some colors in different way : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhgSM_tnPM4

Or if you really want to draw in bigger resolution, then In my opinion you should start with drawing in "real life", it sounds wierd I know ... But it has sense.

I had a lot of art that I've fu**t up, for example just a simple street, city, ground etc.

So I've decided to change everything starting with sketch

Adding some colors

It's not perfect for me, but I know that giving it some time, will help me improve my skills.
I can say the same to you and your arts, try with something small like character, try to change some colors, experiment, stay 2-3-4 hours at 1 pixel because it doesn't fit.

If you want I can give you a challange :) And all new people here as well.
Let's try to do our pixel art wooden box :D

Here I add my pixel wooden box.

Offline Supper

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 02:10:12 pm
Hey, I'm brand new as well to Pixel art, so this is by no means the critique of someone professional.

I like your shading. One of the things I've been focusing on as a beginner is making sure my light source is obvious, and yours definitely is.

There are two things that I think could really spice this up.
1) Make the ground more interesting. I've recently experimented with grass myself and a super common pattern I'm noticing is for a 64x64 or less resolution, simply two or three pixels coming up with one diagonal pixel offset to the right or left makes or easy grass. Also my personal style is to have bumpier ground, but yours still works, but for learning purposes see if you can experiment and get away from the straight line. Like I said, I think if you added some obvious vegetation coming up from the ground then you wouldn't even need to shake that straight line up.

2) You can do a whole lot of easy stuff with skies. Simply a lighter shade of of your background in the right pattern can make easy clouds. I've seen straight lines with another, smaller straight line of the same shade directly above it. Or for something more sophisticated, doing something more roundish also works. Also, adding in a middle ground creates quite a bit of spice. (Mountains, hills, more ground with a color that's closer to the background than the foreground, etc)

Take my critique with a grain of salt, as I'm in the same boat as you, but in my opinion you're doing great, keep practicing.

wow, bro! Thank you very much!

Offline Supper

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 02:23:59 pm
I'm not the proffesional here so take my critique with with distance.

If I were you I would start with drawing small things, in small resolution like 32x32.
And check out how to use some colors in different way : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhgSM_tnPM4

Or if you really want to draw in bigger resolution, then In my opinion you should start with drawing in "real life", it sounds wierd I know ... But it has sense.

I had a lot of art that I've fu**t up, for example just a simple street, city, ground etc.

So I've decided to change everything starting with sketch

Adding some colors

It's not perfect for me, but I know that giving it some time, will help me improve my skills.
I can say the same to you and your arts, try with something small like character, try to change some colors, experiment, stay 2-3-4 hours at 1 pixel because it doesn't fit.

If you want I can give you a challange :) And all new people here as well.
Let's try to do our pixel art wooden box :D

Here I add my pixel wooden box.

Wow, man! Thanks for the tip! I will make my box and post it here later. There was only one thing I didn't understand ... draw in 'real life'?

Offline Xenon02

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 23, 2019, 03:19:08 pm
What I mean was that take a piece of paper, and start drawing using pencil or what ever you have. It will help you draw in pixel art if we talk about big resolutions.

If you are intrested in anatomy then find some tutorials (first try it out in a piece of paper, then you can transfare it into pixel art)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 03:22:50 pm by Xenon02 »

Offline Supper

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 08:14:28 pm
What I mean was that take a piece of paper, and start drawing using pencil or what ever you have. It will help you draw in pixel art if we talk about big resolutions.

If you are intrested in anatomy then find some tutorials (first try it out in a piece of paper, then you can transfare it into pixel art)
Thanks bro! The only problem is, I don't know how to draw. What program do you use for pixel art?

Offline Supper

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 23, 2019, 08:41:06 pm

oh, here is the box https://ibb.co/9YvkG7g

Offline Xenon02

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 23, 2019, 11:09:14 pm
I'm using Aseprite, I've found somewhere a free old version, so I'm using it.

Try to focus on the lightning, where is the source of light.

On the left I did my version, and on the right I tried to modyfie your version, by shading your colors (I'm not good with asymmetric style

Try to experiment with many colors, try to draw some items using the pictures of the real ones.

Oh and also great job with this box :) The point is to open your creativity.

Offline Supper

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 23, 2019, 11:15:31 pm
I'm using Aseprite, I've found somewhere a free old version, so I'm using it.

Try to focus on the lightning, where is the source of light.

On the left I did my version, and on the right I tried to modyfie your version, by shading your colors (I'm not good with asymmetric style

Try to experiment with many colors, try to draw some items using the pictures of the real ones.

Oh and also great job with this box :) The point is to open your creativity.
Man, you draw very well! I am extremely grateful for the tips you gave me! Oh, and for me not to forget, thanks for telling me what program you use, I think Piskel is very limited :y: :)