AuthorTopic: umm dude  (Read 3150 times)

yosh64

umm dude

on: May 25, 2007, 04:17:00 am
hey

Well I have just been pixeling this guy, and wanted to post here before I go. It's still very WIP, and I am far from happy with it yet. I have only quickly done the bottom part because I was in a bit of a hurry to go somewhere.

Hopefully I will finish this guy when I'm back :).

cyas

Offline Draco9898

• Toucan-tastic.
    • View Profile
    • Trevor Dunbar's website

Re: umm dude

Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 04:59:35 am
Eeeeee. Is he supposed to be misshapen proportionally like that? I dig the blocky muscles and such though.

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 07:26:36 am
Of course he is, I doubt anyone who can make the more detailed aspects of the anatomy look that good could unintentionally mutilate a body like that. I say big balance issues. some difficulty regarding the front on hand and foot to do with depth. also some proportion issues are present with the thigh area on the right (our left) leg. Interestingly by flipping and sliding the top half I was able to fix both the gravity to some extent and the thigh proportion issue. Also the forward hand is unnatural in the manner it's posed. Individual elements wise, the head and body for instance are rather nice. Also the calf muscles are off from one another... etc. There are lots more faults but I am very tired at the moment I'm afraid :( 1 thing though I suggest posting with a different background colour it is a little tricky reading the brown in it and looks odd due to its darkness.

I know this fixes crap all but here is an edit:
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

Offline eck

• But why is RUM gone???
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 10:26:22 am
yosh, i noticed this before when you were spriting with me, but you always use a really dark, neer black backgroud.  i dont think this is good because when you do, it makes the colors contrast and brightneess values 'appear' differently.  generally, i start on a light gray tone (prety close to the ms paint defualt light gray) or a midsaturation green tone, depending on what im pixeling. 

my advice is that you change the color of the background next time you start pixeling, and if you dont like it, you can always switch back.
untz untz untz?

yosh64

Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 11:41:20 am
hey

and another...
-> ->

Well here is a little update, although I'm still not to happy with it. Ohh, and thanks for the advise :).

cyas
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 02:33:48 pm by yosh64 »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 03:24:42 pm
I see no significant difference between your various edits. I would suggest breaking out of the 'three or four shades for every different colored surface' you seem to be trapped in for the last few years, and try to share colors between different parts, so you can have more than that number to portray the volumetrics with. You're pixelling as if you were going to hue-shift these sprites on an imaginary video-game, but a) hue-shifts are always better when new hand-made palettes are made and b) you're not making a video-game as far as I know. It would also help to give this sprite some sort of backbone, 'stylistic anatomy' notwithstanding, the stomach area is too straight, there's no backbone, not to mention room for vital organs. The left (ours) arm is small, if you consider that it should be foreshortened, it should be quite quite bigger. The legs are diminutive and in an impossible position (left leg mostly).

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but that's what I see.

yosh64

Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 01:40:54 am
hey

and another...
<->

@helm: Thanks for the advise, hopefully I have done my latest edits okay.

Anyhows, I seem to be happy enough with it now :).

cyas
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 12:44:58 pm by yosh64 »

Offline setz

• View Profile
    • splixel

Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 09:23:05 am
I'd say using that green as a dark tone makes him look like a mossy old log or something, I made a quick palette edit but it evolved into something more.

1) palette: try to stay away from clean ramps using the same hue and sat, start with something like a blue or red and work it through the color you want in to a yellow or something.

2) I shittily shaded the head; but it seemed like everything except the top of the head was shaded from the top-left. I also changed around the shading of the chest and a few other areas to try and make it fit better.

3) I'm sure there's a reason why you weren't dithering, but it can help you out in some spots especially when blending 2 different hues together.

4) alot of your lines seemed to be padded and AA'd according to outlines, ie. top of the head, bottom of the jaw, other outer-surface areas like the shoulder, and part of the neck, try to stay away from that, it makes things seem too thick at parts and other not-good things.

5) if you're using most of the colors everywhere, make sure you actually do that. you use the gree to AA the dark skin to the darkest hue in almost every area except the neck, it gives a sloppy and unfinished feeling.

yosh64

Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 12:55:04 pm
hey

Thanks everyone for your advise, I'll have to also keep these things in mind for pixels I do in future :).

The green version was really just a very quick palette change experiment, I actually had the same pixels with regular colors next to it, but it now seems to have gone from imageshack. Anyhows I uploaded it again to imageshack.

Hmm, I might do some finishing touches or whatever, but I don't know if I will bother uploading again.

cyas