AuthorTopic: pixeljoint weekly challenge: fighter sprite.[Finished]  (Read 16437 times)

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile
Hmm, I also agree with most of the mob regarding the "uniqueness" of this piece, Ryu.
My advice would be for you not to quit on this; try making a real effort to understand these crits. No one says that you can't add style, however, this guy could really use a major tune up anatomically.
Hmmm, other than that, I'm liking the colours- especially on the guy's hair and (his) left arm.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
Patented Helm anatomy non-destructive edit TM:

PSD file here http://www.locustleaves.com/fightepsd.psd

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile
yosh64: i didnt get the broken back crit either, ill have to wait for adarias on that one. thank you very much for the edit, your shading style is actually similair to what i wanted to achieve but ive never done anything like it before -_-
ill try and learn from edit well.
gliding: i understand the crits, its just that most of those crits took away from his body structure, although my first attempt wasnt anywhere near correct they took away what i wanted it to be.
helm: thankyou very much aswell for the edit. i really wanted to keep his hand in that position but i cant seem to make it not broken so i might have to go with something like in yours -_-.

thankyou for all the help on this people, ill update soon. pixelation is such a great place for quality critique.

Offline eck

• But why is RUM gone???
    • View Profile
maybe you already knew (dont have time to read the whole topic) but i thought the background had to be transparent?
untz untz untz?

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile
the colors of the background are all of the same brightness value, and there is a cool, warm, and nuetral for that value. it just better helps me create pallettes that would work on a multicolored background, which fighter sprites do.
edit:
forgot to say that it will be made transparent at the end, when im animating and such :P
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 09:40:34 pm by Ryumaru »

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile
This is a great learning experience. I've seen people would give excuses, not listen to the critics but you are taking initiative. You'll sure benefit from this in the future

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile
yosh64: i didnt get the broken back crit either, ill have to wait for adarias on that one.

Have you ever met a man with a perfectly straight spine?  the way your forms are turned, he has no choice but to live in a world of pain :P
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile
hah, point taken adarias.
ill still be might not have fixed all the issues yet but heres the image as it stands now:

i probably wont submit it as an entry to the challenge but will continue working on it as a learning piece.
update:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 08:01:49 pm by Ryumaru »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: pixeljoint weekly challenge: fighter sprite.[update:]

Reply #18 on: May 25, 2007, 09:51:23 pm

mainly number of colors/color edit. You don't seem to want to apply the anatomical crits as far as the arms go so I didn't edit those. Very many interchangable shades, many near-blacks.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: pixeljoint weekly challenge: fighter sprite.[update:]

Reply #19 on: May 25, 2007, 10:04:41 pm
helm: thankyou, but you should of known that if i have anything going for me its pallettes/ color conservation!
we are allowed 32 colors for the image and thats what im going to use. no unification of the pallette for being in the spirit of color swaps in fighter srites.
also, done with the still frame:

after i create the animation for the weekly challenge, i will go back and fix any anatomical errors i can and maybe make a version with a unified pallette.
edit: crap i forgot to finish the hand -_- oh well, in next update.