AuthorTopic: pixeljoint weekly challenge: fighter sprite.[Finished]  (Read 16345 times)

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

very wip.
for pixeljoint.
comments and critique appreciated muchly.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 08:29:42 pm by Ryumaru »

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic
1 - Major, perpetual, constant anatomy problems.  And they're the kind that even I know how to fix - this is bad!  Here is a little flip-flop anim to show you some changes that I think would help the character a lot:

The only thing I was too lazy to fix is the angle of the head - try doing that pose with your head facing that way in real life.  It f*ckin HURTS!  I know he's tough (you can tell by the anime hair) but nobody's that tough.  Let him relax a bit!  Maybe chin in the air?  Nice start, but I think you will find its faster to fix the proportions and major shapes FIRST before getting too detailed.
EDIT - his right elbow is still too low even in my version, but I'm too lazy to fix my own edit even :P

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile
wow, that edit basically took away any uniqueness of his physique. its probably much more anatomically correct, but if i have to change that much for corrective sake i might give up on this sprite. the only thing i can see me being able to alter is the waist area. the proportions of your edit are not what i intended at all. his long limbs are gone, his slenderness is deystroyed.
thankyou very much for the edit though, but i think its just way too far from what i intended.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic
I'm gonna be blunt: what you call "uniqueness" I call "the same messed up proportions that are used in 3/4 of anime and the fanboy deviantartists because they can't bother to learn the difference between good stylized physique and bad stylized physique".  Drawing dudes wrong is not unique!

EDIT - I do concede that my guy is thicker in general than yours, I did not mean to stray that far from your original intentions.  But the overarching issue is that the things you've chosen to stylize are done so in an isolated fashion - you gave him long arms, but short legs.  A long upper torso, and a tiny lower torso.  No neck, tiny head, and shoulders that are almost disconnected from his ribcage entirely.  One of the keys to using stylized anatomy in your characters is to distort them in a logical fashion that maintains some of the key proportions that are part of being human!  If he's got long skinny arms, then he'll probably have long skinny legs, and big hands (your guy has pretty small hands and skinny but VERY short legs), and a longish neck as well.  Temper your creativity with a little analysis and you'll be able to make some very big strides forward (despite those short legs!).
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 10:03:02 pm by AdamAtomic »

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile
i made a little overpaint of what i made to be under the clothes, and the things that you wrote actually help me more. i wanted long skinny legs, but found that i did make them short, the clothes made it hard to tell.

this probably sounds like bull shit but this is totally not the generic anime bull shit you see, i dont even want to get mixed in with that stuff. it seems i just took a different path that lead to a similair point.
thankyou for the help : D

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile
my friend sarah's boyfriend is very similar to your goal here i think, ill see what pictures i can drum up for references.  i can tell you right off, his chest is too high, his shoulders are too high, the region around his shoulders is too bulky, his neck doesn't exist, and his back is broken.  I'm afraid this may require a complete reworking if you want it to be at all realistic.

adam yours is a good edit but his forearms are too short and he has that unique ability of anime characters to pull his head back so far that he pushes his chin inside his own throat.  i make the same mistake with my characters and im never quite sure how they manage it without extreme discomfort.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
Besides the good critique on this by Adarias and Adam, I have to say that the hand, the left hand (ours), is at a broken position. Besides that, the biggest problem I have with this is the neck+head+lack of face

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile
the newest update a bit better?

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart
his pecs are too high.  I am of similar build and my pecs end half-way down my bicep. not at the base of my shoulder.  Also the legs seem a bit short.

the trouser should flare a bit more on (his) right leg, not follow the curve entirely round.  I agree about fascial definition, nothing big just a few more dark pixels would do.

The bottom "spike" fold on the shirt would also be practically impossible to fold like that, and considering that shirt is tight-fitting, shows nothing of the anatomy below.

yosh64

hey

Maybe I can learn some things from this, as I seem to be blind to some of the advise/crits mentioned here. Well most so to me is Adarias comment "and his back is broken". I really can't see a broken back from this? do you mean he litrally looks like he has a broken back? I dunno, maybe it would help if you further explained your advise, because as an outsider who might see things in a simular light as Ryumaru, I find it hard to identify with everything said. But I dunno.

Anyhows, from a pixel and design standpoint, I think it looks quite nice.

I do think the legs are better now, although his crutch is rather small, but I think this might be a style choice. Hmm, regardless of style, the left (his right) arm looks too long, and not in accordence with his other arm. I also think the left (his right) wrist looks odd, and the fingers behind look too bright, making it a bit hard to read. But yea, I think the weight of his body and arms look a bit large compared to his legs and head. The hair looks a little flat to me, and I think the boots are obviously still wip.

But yea, I really like this, and I think it's quite well pixeled ^_^. Overall, I think after you refine the proportions and such, it will actually improve style.
---

I was just thinking... it's like... his legs are long, and skiny, which is fine... but... then his body looks a little too big/wide for them... and then his arm's look a little too big for his body... but I think his head is okay, looks about the right size for something between the size of the legs and body. Hmm, I hope all that made sense. But yea, I know from experience that it can be hard to see your own proportional problems, but when you do you will laugh at how funny it looks. Well the proportions for the thing I done a while back were way worse than yours, and I still failed to initially see them.

edit
Sorry I think I went a bit far with my first comment. I think the only thing that was really not clear to me is about his broken back :\. But yea, I don't mean to go off topic, maybe it's just me, and Ryumaru understands your advise about his broken back.

another edit
, and <- changed shading a tad to my liking, but nm
Well I done a quick edit for ya, although I screwed most of ya pixels up in the process. I just tried to make the proportions more consistent. Obviously this is very unrealistic, but I don't think you were going for realistic. Anyhows, you may want to see what others have to say about my edit, as I'm no expert on such things. Ohh, I really can't understand the logic behind all your shading either, but I guess this is what makes each artist different :), hehe.

cyas
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 04:32:41 am by yosh64 »