AuthorTopic: Color Count in Photoshop CS2  (Read 3518 times)

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Color Count in Photoshop CS2

on: May 09, 2007, 06:14:31 am
As the board's templates don't load properly yet, I couldn't snip your posts, so here they are.
Now I'll delete those in the Tools, Resources and Linkage thread.

i didnt see a questions for stupid people page so can anyone tell me if theres a way in photoshop cs2 that you can do a color count? if this is in a wrong spot im sorry i didnt really see anything on the first page and i didnt want to pull up a topic from page 11.

this is the wrong section, but i can give you an answer. (to my knowledge) i beleive if you go to image > mode > indexed color and then select "exact" from the pulldown menu, it should set the number in the box to however many colours are being used. but be warned, clicking okay will flatten the image, and you will only be able to use those colours. (meaning you cannot add to the index) so be sure to hit cancel to stay in RGB mode.

edit: actually, the number is the sum of three things, white, black, and all the other colors you have. so, for instance, if you use 2 colors, white and black, the number will be 2, if you use only white and green, it will be 3, if you use black and pink, it will be 3, if you use white, green, and blue, it will be 4, etc. (+1 if you tick "transparency")

but what if you cant select exact? I can't. No clue why. maybe there is a website that will do a color count for you? The reason is because i screwed up, left the computer, and it got saved in jpeg and it got all dead and extra colors and crap  :-\ i dont want to strain my eyes and find the extra colors and get rid of them. any suggestions for an easier way? and i want to know the color count because i want to know if ive gotten rid of all the extra colors by seeing if the number is the same with my palette....

know where this is supposed to be? sorry again

it will only allow exact if your color count is less then 256.  If your color count is more than 256 i suggest this isn't the right forum for you.

heh. my color count would only be 256 because it got saved in the wrong format. originally it was 16. My color count definitely shouldnt be, but is sadly, more than 256

edit: actually, the number is the sum of three things, white, black, and all the other colors you have. so, for instance, if you use 2 colors, white and black, the number will be 2, if you use only white and green, it will be 3, if you use black and pink, it will be 3, if you use white, green, and blue, it will be 4, etc. (+1 if you tick "transparency")

Forcing white and black is an option you can disable, at least in PS7.

heh. my color count would only be 256 because it got saved in the wrong format. originally it was 16. My color count definitely shouldnt be, but is sadly, more than 256

try a color redux, index color > 16.  then just try and get it back to normal by hand.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 08:11:14 am by Panda »

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Re: Color Count in Photoshop CS2

Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 04:16:23 pm
Free Filters
Scroll just short of halfway down the page to find a "Count Colors Filter". The one caveat is that it'll only count colors on the active layer, so you'll need flatten or (safer) copy merged and paste before you run the filter. Works like a charm. :y: