AuthorTopic: Lasombra Vampire [WIP]  (Read 6797 times)

Offline Bers

• View Profile

Re: Lasombra Vampire [WIP]

Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 12:56:33 am
add clothes texture
fix hand size and position
aproximates colors

c&c welcome.
PS damn, i very tired.

Offline Fernox

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 02:18:29 am
very good, I really like the face
just one detail, this part:

mmm i dont like the curves of the line. they are not natural lines, too curves.

the rest, pretty good

PD: the name, Lasombra, why te name ?? in spanish, it means TheShadow. good name, but to someone spanish (o latin, like me), it sound strange XD

bye. good pixel art

Offline Bers

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: May 25, 2007, 03:25:51 am
Its the name one vampire clan from "The World of Darkness" create WhiteWolf company.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #13 on: May 25, 2007, 04:31:40 pm
This will mainly be about colors:

What do you have now? You have a big picture, colored like a 90's fighter sprite. You use 88 colors. I suspect the way you color is by adding layers and approximating the color below by opacity. This is the wrong way to pixel, if you want to keep palettes under control. Handpick every color and make it count. It took me an hour to clean that sprite from 88 colors to 24, was this an hour well-spent? Control your art all the way through, so at the end you don't have to clean up.

23 colors, plus a spare for any transparent parts.

Even cleaned up: Every different item or surface is either RED, BLUE, GOLD or ORANGE. You make different ramps for these things, and you end up with lots of colors and a very un-unified picture. Even after minimizing the disparate ramps so they're 24 colors, it still looks less unified than I think it should. This could be further brought together down to the optimal 16 colors by  optimising the usage, bringing similar hues a bit together, generally not having a BLUE VAMPIRE WEARING RED SHIRT, but a bluish-tinted vampire wearing a red-tinted shirt, under the cast of darkness.

16 colors

This still isn't unified enough, and now I have many colors from the face I could apply to the clothing to bring out highlights and such, so the full effect of this minimization in color usage cannot be seen at a strict color edit, but it should point you in the right direction.

Whatever program you're using, and whatever practises result in such huge amounts of color, if you want to become a fast, precise and adept pixeller, you need to change these things.

Offline Bers

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: May 25, 2007, 05:01:56 pm
Helm? thx fo you big advertency. one thing? this picture not finished.
i totaly agree about color, i use much of colors.
next step i get degression color pallete.

I suspect the way you color is by adding layers and approximating the color below by opacity.

you absolytely right.
my color vision very bad. i create much pictures on b/w color.
but i diligent apprentice.

Whatever program you're using, and whatever practises result in such huge amounts of color, if you want to become a fast, precise and adept pixeller, you need to change these things.

thx. :)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #15 on: May 25, 2007, 05:34:38 pm
Yeah I realized it wasn't finished, but if you have to spend an hour (you'd probably spend more because I've had so much practise at these for critique purposes) to clean up your pixel art, then you're not doing much that is pixel art after all. Try to control all the way through.