AuthorTopic: Attack Animation- Crits Please!  (Read 9753 times)

Offline Draco9898

• Toucan-tastic.
    • View Profile
    • Trevor Dunbar's website

Re: Attack Animation- Crits Please!

Reply #20 on: May 24, 2007, 01:41:00 pm
This animation is still so stiff, try something like an attack that actually lunges forward instead of making it look like she's just pawing the air gently/something in front of her face

Your newest animation, it looks like shes comically hitting someone over the head. "Thunk!"

I believe this 7 minute edit hits the nail on the head
This arm raises quickly for an attack and then swings forcefully down with a 3 frame swipe effect as the character moves forward.
It's important the swipe effect is not attached to the arm, aka: your new animation, this allows it to be like a short-ranged 'ranged' attack.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 02:31:25 pm by Draco9898 »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #21 on: May 24, 2007, 06:04:01 pm
Your edit breaks more than it fixes Draco, I don't see it nailing any heads. What's with the big brushed effects and the jiggling feet?

Anyway, some step-through is indeed needed, as right now she won't be hitting much...

Offline Draco9898

• Toucan-tastic.
    • View Profile
    • Trevor Dunbar's website

Reply #22 on: May 24, 2007, 07:12:56 pm
Your edit breaks more than it fixes Draco, What's with the big brushed effects and the jiggling feet?

well Gil, You might ask why I might do an edit if I don't have time to do all the little special effects junk pixel-by-pixel, as long as it gets my point across. I can't be bothered to do the smoke and slash sprites pixel-by-pixel. It works.

I don't see it nailing any heads.

Of course not, shes supposed to be slashing, not nailing. /end bad joke here.

You could always edit My EDIT...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 07:29:55 pm by Draco9898 »

Offline Rawsushi

• View Profile
    • Terrormisu - The Art of B Rosaschi

Reply #23 on: May 24, 2007, 07:18:28 pm

Might give you some direction.

Offline uridicy

• Beware the Pixolator
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Pocket

Reply #24 on: May 25, 2007, 05:53:34 am
  Yeah that's great example. That's more what I was going for.  I like the way the attacks look when the character lunges forward, but I wanted an attack that didn't require the character to take too much time stepping forward and stepping back.  The last example does a great job of giving some range without moving the character to drastically.

Thanks for all the critiques/edits, I'll read them over some more when I get some more time.  I just started a new job and it's kept me pretty occupied.

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: May 25, 2007, 06:59:04 am

Here's what I imagined the walk cycle could look like in order to allow powerful slashes while in motion, but could also be used with the idle stance. Instead of the uppercut, a more catlike pound while rearing up might look better.
I also made some tweaks to the sprite and the palette. You had loads of similar colors in there, I cut the count down from 26 to 13.