AuthorTopic: [WIP] Golem  (Read 5474 times)

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

[WIP] Golem

on: May 20, 2007, 12:30:21 am
Omg yes I'm almost thinking about putting all my pictures in one topic so i dont have to keep making new ones! :blind: :yell:

Ok so no one was posting on my Lonesome Tree on Cliff so i made this golem.

C&C apperciated i was going for a rock look if anyone can help me with that :crazy:

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Golem

Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 12:31:18 am
You need more defined faces for this to make him look more rocky. And then start your dithering. I'll try to come with an edit when I get a chance.

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 12:33:55 am
can you define defined faces  ???

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 03:53:15 am
Defined = detailed, I'm guessing.

Also, this needs a contrast boost.

Does it have boobs? It looks like it has boobs. I think it's a golemess. Looks like a golemess.

Tiny legs.

For a stony texture, you might want to make him look like he's made up of smaller boulder-stones. right now, it just looks likea grey man-chick with short legs and wrinkly clothes.

Increase the contrast. Lower the colors. You only need 4 colors for this...even just 3 would suffice.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 04:58:34 am
I second the contrast boost.  If there is one consistent problem with your latest pieces, it's that they lack contrast...and are difficult to read and flat as a result. 

The first step you should take in getting good contrast is to calibrate your monitor.  I like this page a lot (I think I came across it because of somebody here actually...).

After that, if you are still suffering from poor contrast in your work, you may want to look into hue-shifting.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 05:32:43 am
When I say defined faces I mean like something similar to what Xion said, if you look at the side of a cliff it has many faces and gorges and all this crap.

Offline Delgneith

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 05:52:41 am
The forms really aren't reading well. He seems so clumsily misshapen. May I suggest looking into some anatomy (yes it's a rock golem but some base doesn't hurt) for a better concept of proportions or even looking in a mirror?  :)

Oh and would it hurt to put all your work in one thread? Specially when one is starting up pixel art and not putting multiple hours into one piece it would be wise not to flood the boards with multiple posts and reserve one post as what is called a 'dump' to post all your varying pictures.  :)

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 06:28:51 pm
@Xion - Well i did notice s/he kinda does look like she has some

@Rydin - I guess you mean dont use to many dark colors lighten them up?

@Delgneith - Well i was using a picture and thats how it looked , short legs , thick arms , wierd head. Ya ill make a dump today thanks  :blind:

Offline im9today

• xtrwsqgcxct
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 20, 2007, 08:28:34 pm
Okay, I made an edit.

I tried to more or less stick to your design, but I replaced the colors with much higher contrasting ones, added lots of crags and juts, and reworked the stubby legs into something a bit different. I didn't tweak this a lot, but I think you can see some things from it.

However, you may want to spice up your design some. I think maybe the arms should almost scrape the ground, and you should beef up the chest area to twice the size it is now. For example, here are some golem monsters from RO.

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 07:26:49 pm
i made the arms larger and beefed the arms and legs up a bit. Ill think about making him look more jagedy but just not sure how yet.
yours is kinda wierd looking i dont like it to much  :P oh well my opinion