AuthorTopic: Robot sprite  (Read 7941 times)

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Re: Robot sprite

Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 05:00:11 pm
Wow, your sprites have improved a lot very quickly.  Nice job there!  However, I must say that your latest one does not look all that shiny.  Smooth yes, but shiny no.  To get shiny, try putting highlights and darks right next to each other to simulate reflection of things in the environment.
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 10:38:40 pm
To you, a robot is just a robot. But you haven't worked with them. You don't know them. They're a cleaner, better breed than we are.

what the hell, new MSPaint version automatically saves as JPEG?????

anyway, with metal, try to use higher internal contrast and fewer outlines to provide form.  if you do it right the contours will have enough local variation to not need outlines.  Sorry there's no pixel technique anymore in this edit, im nearly late to class and don't have time to pixel again.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Sabata

• View Profile
    • TownsLife

Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 11:32:22 pm
 :blind:When does the improving starts? The more I do more frustrated I become… and hell, why did I choose robots? They are so hard to do… I guess trying to be an artist is a hard work.
Anyway, thanks for the edit a little hard to see because it’s jpg but I get the idea. Yours look real, mine is more like cartoon robots. :'(

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: September 26, 2007, 03:46:09 am
no, yours actually end up more like.....egg robots, smooth, round, and barely effected by light and shadow compared to other materials.  even cartoons can portray surface properties of shine and detailed shapes.  try studying a detailed metal object like a can opener or something to see how you can use simple light and shadow to create volumes rather than just making everything eggs or noodles.
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Sabata

• View Profile
    • TownsLife

Reply #14 on: September 26, 2007, 12:40:46 pm
I know that metal is extremely shiny on light, the problem is that I am afraid of using intense colors, I am not used to make metal that’s why I am learning.
Now that you mentioned eggs, it does look like something dull… in theory I know that unaffected by light part s should be dark and other parts should be very shiny.
But, well, nothing better than practice.

Made an edit, that looks kinda better, I wonder if I should make it even more bright… or maybe I could make his body darker leaving the shiny parts as it is.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: September 26, 2007, 05:28:53 pm
now you just have an egg in harsher light.  it's not going to become shiney until you actually look at metal and study how light acts on it.
A mistake is a mistake.