AuthorTopic: [WIP] Platform Game Mockup  (Read 3876 times)

Offline dreamisle

• Software Engineer/Puzzle Author
    • View Profile
    • Dave Goes the Distance

[WIP] Platform Game Mockup

on: May 19, 2007, 10:17:49 am
Hey everyone. I was looking through some of the older posts here and was inspired to make my own mockup. Here's what I have so far:

Let me know if you guys have any crits. I'm not very skilled so make sure I can understand what you're talking about too ;)

Offline im9today

• xtrwsqgcxct
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Platform Game Mockup

Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 08:12:15 pm
I think maybe you should work with tiles instead of sketching out and filling in this large of a background, so I'd scrap everything besides the refined left part of the sketch and work from there. The stuff you laid in in the back isn't going to stay in any fashion, so it's just distracting.
The underwater part is a neat idea, but you aren't really adding anything new to it that the last person who made a mockup like this had. The highlights on the grass strands you have right now need to move more to the yellow side of the color chart, while the darker parts need to be much bluer.
The health bar in the corner looks fine to me.

Overall I feel you're sticking to closely to what has already been made; bring some of your own stuff to the mix, whatever it may be.

Offline dreamisle

• Software Engineer/Puzzle Author
    • View Profile
    • Dave Goes the Distance

Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 09:05:22 pm
Quick question before I go further. I planned on just making a fake little screenshot here. Should I just make a big drawing, or should I still make tiles for everything?

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 09:54:18 pm
A proper mockup should look like a game you would make. So it depends. Naturally you would make tiles but of course one could make a game where everything is pixelled unique, tho that is a bit unlikely, no. Making tiles is a good practise in any way.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.