AuthorTopic: 8 direction base  (Read 5392 times)

Offline JWW

• One unbroken chain
    • View Profile
    • IamJakeWW

8 direction base

on: May 19, 2007, 04:31:28 am
animation

unique poses

First time doing this so i wanted to get comments before I continued.  Thanks in advance.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Re: 8 direction base

Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 04:51:09 am
In the side view, his ears are way too far back on his head.

Offline JWW

• One unbroken chain
    • View Profile
    • IamJakeWW

Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 05:05:08 am
thanks xion, fixed.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 06:20:43 am
Also in the side view, his near shoulder is too far back and his far arm should, as far as I can see, not be visible.

This may be why the rotation animation looks snappy.

Otherwise cool...

Offline Syn

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 02:14:31 pm
I think the animation looks awkward because of the actual speed of rotation the frames dictate. The best way to explain this is to look at the legs. Imagine the rotation distance needed to go from sprite 2 to sprite 1. Now look and imagine the distance needed to go from mirrored frame 1 and frame 4. They is much more rotation going on from 1-4 and thus you see a big jump in the animation. You would need an additional frame which represent position in sprite 1 facing the other side.

Hope you understood my explanation. :)

Offline JWW

• One unbroken chain
    • View Profile
    • IamJakeWW

Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 03:33:38 pm
@xion - im not sure i want it to be completely sideways but ill think about it.

@syn - the unique poses are not the only sprites in the animation lol.  There are 8 frames i just didn't displayed the mirrored frames.  I do have a side view facing the otherside.  I don't understand your explanation at all. Obviously there's more rotation from 1-4 then from 1-2. There's more frames. I honestly don't know what you're trying to explain here.  Try rephrasing.

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 04:21:23 pm
I agree with Syn, the spacing is incorrect. There is a greater leap in motion switching from the side poses to the back ones and vice-versa. Specially noticeable on the feet. There needs to be a constant rotation impression throughout the animation, right now there are leaps at these positions. I believe you can fix this by making the side poses more neutral, an exact mid-position from the 3/4 front and 3/4 back poses. As of now, the side poses is kind of a, let's call it 1/8 pose than an actual side one.

Offline JWW

• One unbroken chain
    • View Profile
    • IamJakeWW

Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 05:17:43 pm
oh so he basically said the same thing xion already said?  ok.

Offline Syn

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 07:07:09 pm
Try it now.

I think the animation looks awkward because of the actual speed of rotation the frames dictate. The best way to explain this is to look at the legs. Imagine the rotation distance needed to go from sprite 2 to sprite 1. Now look and imagine the distance needed to go from mirrored frame 1 and frame 4. They is much more rotation going on from 1-4 and thus you see a big jump in the animation. You would need an additional frame which represent position in sprite 1 facing the other side.

Hope you understood my explanation. :)

Basically, if you want to have a good rotation and want it to be 8 direction exactly, you need sprite 1 to be perfectly facing the side. Sorry if it sounded complicated, I have a way to complicate my explanations. :-\

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 19, 2007, 08:41:18 pm
i say nuts to that, since the character isnt meant to spin perfectly without moving his feet, lol, hes just supposed to face in different directions.  keep the skewed sideview as it lets you keep a more interesting angle and see more of the character than you would, a la chrono trigger.

To me they look good so far, though on the sideview i might push the rear foot (jsut the foot, not the leg) in 1 px
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.