AuthorTopic: Penguin Quest  (Read 3885 times)

Offline Destro

• View Profile

Penguin Quest

on: May 17, 2007, 09:05:31 pm
Iv sorta been wanting to make some sort of RPG but didn't know were to start, so....
I made this sword, it will be the sword of the main character.
It will have a different form for the 4 elements(Fire,Water,Air,Earth)
I want to perfect the base sword before i make the edits for each element.

C/C away!!!

Normal

In game

Im working on the main character now

i think he might be a little big...
what is a good size for sprites?

« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 01:24:39 am by Destro »

yosh64

Re: Penguin Quest

Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 02:20:02 am
hey

The size of your sprites is usually dependent of the size of your map/level tiles. If your map/level tiles are a regular 16x16 pixels, then I think a nice player sprite size is somewhere around 16x32, but this also greatly depends on the character, and style of your art.

At the moment I think even your sprite artwork seems to large, and more like concept art to me. But I can't comment much on this and such, as I don't know what size map/level tiles you will use.

I also find it odd that the penguin holds the sword completly sideways, and although this could be a choice of style, I think this isn't likely the case.

Anyhows, I think the best advise I can offer to you is to keep at it :).

cyas

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 11:13:20 am
The pose seems very unbalanced. The sword seems heavy, giving an impression that the penguin is just about to fall on his nose. Make the penguin lean backwards, to caunter the weight of the sword with his body. Also, the huge amount of small details on the sword and the more plain look of the penguin makes it visually a bit uneasy. I'd make the sword less detailed.. that many details in an animated sword'll just end up looking messy.

Nice concept. There are too few penguins in games, especially in platformers. :)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 11:41:38 am
i'd suggest something more like this sort of size/pose:

Reasons -
  I didn't measure that, but i imagine something like it would work well with most of the standard tile sizes.
  Smaller is better when it comes to animations because it MUCH MUCH FASTER to pixel a small character
  Round "beanbag" body type makes for cute, bouncy animation as befits a penguin, with plenty of opportunity to show weight OR weightlessness when needed
  Two-handed sword makes the character balanced and also forces him to present his front to the viewer.  this can be done if he fights closed with the single-handed sword, but in your sketch there you've got him fighting open which makes him face in profile at best, away from the viewer completely at worst.
  Huge weapon size compared to character adds to cuteness factor

Another last thing i'll suggest before i go - you really should pixel the sword fresh at each angle if you want it to look good.  Autorotate functions just suck for pixelart i'm afraid :(
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline candiru

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 11:45:30 am
I like the big sword, but the in-game sword doesn't look good. It looks like scissors, maybe it has too much detail.
The penguin's pose is unbalanced - he's leaning forward too much, and too much of his foot is showing for a sideways perspective. Here's a quick edit to show you what I mean:

The penguin could also use more light/dark contrast.

A good size for the sprite would be smaller, 16x32 or 32x32 or 32x48, the bigger you make it the more detail you need to add.

Offline Destro

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 01:34:34 pm
made him smaller and more up right

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 07:41:05 pm
Hmm are you the destro from TIF? I like the sword, and the penguin, but the shading of the sword does not suggest actual metal, more plastic, to me.
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Destro

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 08:57:55 pm
Hmm are you the destro from TIF? I like the sword, and the penguin, but the shading of the sword does not suggest actual metal, more plastic, to me.

yep thats me

what would you suggest to make it more metallic?

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 11:59:38 pm
I would add a white highlight, to make it..shiney...to show you what I mean, I have an edit of another peice, look at the grey part...

Now, this is very rough, but it can give you a basic idea of what I mean.
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.