AuthorTopic: Speaking of dumps and from the dead! (ZOMBIES!!!)  (Read 5167 times)

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile
I recently just finished up a flash game called Zombieland and thought I'd give pixelation an exclusive dump of *most* of the graphics for it. Seeing as I did every graphic for the game there are a fair amount to dump. So, without further adieu.

The Hero
We needed a semi-cool/badass teen and a reason to explain the constant scrolling in the game. Naturally, it's a cool kid on a skateboard. He's pretty hardcore considering the beatings he takes.

These are the weapons he uses. I tried using tsugumo's technique for the crossbow flames and a few other places although I dont' quite have it down yet. Haha.

These are the getting hit animations for what he interacts with. There are some other uninteresting or generally not great ones that I didnt' upload. The death animation isn't too cool but it was one of the last items I did and time was running short.

The Objects
Gotta show these early so they don't become overshadowed. Nothing special, just some old fashioned objects that games need. The glow effect on the explosion was an afterthought after making the crossbow glow. The colors were heavily integrated so it was hard to make it work. One reason why unifying the palette across the board isn't always good.

My favorite of these is the heart. It's very vibrant in a rather desaturated game and therefore stands out.

The Zombies
Naturally there are zombies in a zombie game. These guys were loads of fun to do and after the first generic guy I had a lot of freedom to do what I wanted.

Not much more to comment on these guys. My favorite is probably the fat one. Probably because I learned something about simplistic shading and the lengths it can go to save time and create an interesting and solid sprite.

ZAMBONI!!!

One of the first things we decided on when brainstorming the game. Without this, we probably wouldn't have a game. Naturally, it was one of the last things integrated.

Backgrounds

When you get the zamboni the screen turns to this and a sweet song plays. What fun!

A theater and a house of random interest.

Three more houses. The bunny is part of our logo and makes an appearance in almost every we game we do. The second one was just me having fun scribbling on my building. XD The third was the first building I did and pretty much the only building in the game until the last week of production. Amazingly I never really noticed that it was the same house repeating over and over during all the test playing.

Part of the street but not all of it. The street is pretty boring, I just uploaded this because I was proud of my sewer cap. :D

Lich King/Boss

This is the boss for the game. He was fun to do. Given some limitations set by the other sprites and their classes and how they operated the lich got sold short. I put forth some extra effort to ensure he wasn't too crippled though. The preceding statements are all very convoluted as I don't remember how limited I was actually. XD
I really enjoyed figuring out how ragnarok online did their "lazy" getting hit animations for bigger monsters. This guy was near the end so indeed he too was rushed.

I think that covers all of the bases.

http://www.fukgames.com/action/zombieland.html

You can go here to try out the game. I prefer to play it on newgrounds for some reason but this is the site that bought the game from us so I oughta support it.
The rest of the graphics are pretty sweet and it's mighty fun to see it in action. Our team as a whole is very talented and the game is held together by more than just graphics.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 03:06:34 am by Doppleganger »

Offline pixelblink

• View Profile
    • pixeljoint

Re: Speaking of dumps and from the dead! (ZOMBIES!!!)

Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 03:43:14 am
dude that pretty sweet! reminds me of some of Paul Robertson's stuff. While there's some definite NPA elements thrown in the mix, I think the graphics and animations are done effectively. Passing this one around for sure

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 04:09:53 am
My God, I love those animations.  I agree with PB, I got that Robertson vibe.  Simply awesome stuff.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 11:54:29 am
lovely stuff.  One thing i would suggest about the explosions would be to mix in some hard pixel sparks and flares so that it doesnt have the "hey im totally blurry" feel, but thats really a nitpick.

fun game too, though i wouldnt mind it a little faster (maybe it gets faster? i only played for a moment)
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Omenith

• View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 06:26:36 pm
Cool beans. Just played the game for abit and all of the animations make it feel complete and polished. Though most of the animations could make use of more unique frames and redrawing in general; this is most noticable in Hero_Hit_Wanderer.gif. I understand that you were dealing with alot of work here so this technique was warranted. I agree with Cure that all of the idle, exploding and blood effects have that Robertson vibe.

:y:

Offline Chaos Tayoko

• Pixel Ninja!
    • View Profile
    • Tayoko's Website

Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 06:36:51 pm
I have been eager to play this game since I ran into it on Gameshot at school. I was surprised and frankly overjoyed to find the pixel artist on these forums, because it was the art of the game that drew me into it. Your work is outstanding all except the Explosion. I was totally disappointed once i played the game, it was choppy, not smooth enough and well....not really fun.   I say this with complete belief,  The art outweighed the programing by more than a mile.
Who's is a cheap, reliable Artist? Me!
http://tayokoart.com

Offline uridicy

• Beware the Pixolator
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Pocket

Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 01:54:27 am
Hey Dopple!  These are great.  I really like the texture on that turtle.  I'd try the game out, but zombie's make me queezy. Are you ever on AIM anymore? I logged in a couple of times hoping to say hi.

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 07:20:12 pm
Thanks everybody!

Paul Robertson was the source of inspiration to make a game like this so we kind of took that route for this game. It's a pretty entertaining and fun style so it worked well with who we are, as far as developers go.

@ Adarias:
You're right about the explosion. Something I'll definitely keep in mind if I ever have to do something similar. It ended up being a pretty blurry mess. :/
I'm pretty sure that as the game progresses it speeds up more and more. Also, come later levels, there is so much going on that you'd have no chance if it scrolled too fast.

@Chaos:
The game has never ran choppy for me, and it's not an issue that I've heard often. You could always try and turn the quality to low if you're having problems though. I wouldn't really judge the game too much if you weren't able to play it in a functional fashion. Thank you for your kind words though.

@Uridicy:
I'm on aim sometimes but usually just use yahoo. I'm not really on aim too late anymore even when I am on.