AuthorTopic: [WIP]Fire Ball and Rock Man!  (Read 5394 times)

Offline Destro

• View Profile

[WIP]Fire Ball and Rock Man!

on: May 14, 2007, 11:13:33 pm
Well this is my first pixel for Pixelation   :)

i also got a little rock man sprite thingy that needs lots of help

c/c would be great  ;D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 11:18:47 pm by Destro »

Offline PixL

• View Profile

Re: [WIP]Fire Ball

Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 01:07:18 pm
Here's a quick mirrored edit I did, it's not the best, because well, i'm not that great at pixel art, and i'm not an expert on fireballs. But, I tried to show what "I" thought needed to be done. I thought the "fire" needed to be more flowy, and "flow" towards the back. Plus it did'nt remind me to much of fire other than the color.

Offline Destro

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 02:31:21 pm
Made a Quick edit based on PixL

« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 09:55:19 pm by Destro »

Offline Destro

• View Profile

Re: [WIP]Fire Ball and Rock Man!

Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 11:19:41 pm
rock man needs your help!

i have no idea how im going to do the arms and legs
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 11:22:36 pm by Destro »

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 11:41:00 pm
Welcome to Pixelation!  PREPARE FOR CRITS:

Unfortunately you based it on the 'what' and not the 'why' of PixL's changes.  Yes, there are little sticky offy bits.  But they're not just thrown on there randomly - note how they all terminate horizontally, and how they are fairly thin.  All of this serves to emphasize speed and movement.  His slight perspective change is very welcome, and helps to clarify the fact that your vertical lines are actually rings.  While its far too busy to appeal to me personally, I still thought I should point out that you only duplicated the very worst parts of his edit!  Remember - don't just look at the WHAT - think about the WHY.

I do not see any 'man' in your rock man yet; the shapes are confusing and illegible, there is too much dithering, not enough contrast, busy outlines, and no clear light source or planes.

Offline Destro

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 12:36:10 am
Welcome to Pixelation!  PREPARE FOR CRITS:

Unfortunately you based it on the 'what' and not the 'why' of PixL's changes.  Yes, there are little sticky offy bits.  But they're not just thrown on there randomly - note how they all terminate horizontally, and how they are fairly thin.  All of this serves to emphasize speed and movement.  His slight perspective change is very welcome, and helps to clarify the fact that your vertical lines are actually rings.  While its far too busy to appeal to me personally, I still thought I should point out that you only duplicated the very worst parts of his edit!  Remember - don't just look at the WHAT - think about the WHY.

I do not see any 'man' in your rock man yet; the shapes are confusing and illegible, there is too much dithering, not enough contrast, busy outlines, and no clear light source or planes.

i fixed them both a little

i think the fireball still needs lots of improvement but this is what i got now

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 12:53:17 am
I'm liking how the stone part is looking and coming out, just make sure to give it a rough texture afterwards. I'd also suggest some nice hue shifts here and there.

The fireball, I think the major thing you should focus on is to make it so that the after flames termination isn't so square but a bit more freely moving.

Offline Destro

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 01:36:14 am
i changed it to more of a brownish shade and changed a few small things
how do you texture rock? never done it before

tried to curve the rings a little

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 02:19:50 am
I can't say the dithering on the flame is benefiting it any. Also, the dithering on the rock is pretty useless. The shades are too close to give it a 'texture' and you're not using it to conserve colors. Scrap it completely. As for how to texture the rock, for that size, what you have seems to be the right direction, you're not going to be able to fit anything of much use in such a small object.

Offline Destro

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 01:51:31 pm
I made rock man a little bigger and attempted to make feet