AuthorTopic: Isometric Art?  (Read 5267 times)

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Isometric Art?

on: May 14, 2007, 05:40:43 am
I wanted to practice on some isometric art, thought it'd be fun to do something different for a change. As it were I was having some trouble...is it possible to create a perfectly even isometric block of land?

Something like 100 x 100?

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Isometric Art?

Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 06:29:49 pm
....what is the question?

a perfectly even block, in isometric, would be a diamond.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 06:52:57 pm
I tried to make a perfectly even isometric block inside a 100 x 100 canvas and it didn't touch each side, would be a more simpler version to what I said, I was asking if it was possible to do this.

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 07:08:22 pm
Basically, the 2:1 ratio is omnipresent in conventional Pixel Art isometric view. An isometric square (=diamond) will fill a 2:1 rectangular canvas, or half of your square canvas. If you want your block to be placed evenly in the middle of you canvas, simply start making the usual 'two pixels across one pixel up/down' line at the y-center of your canvas from both sides and lines will automatically meet in the x-center. If you're going to 'build' something on top of your platform you will want to put it in the lower portion of the image though.

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 08:25:37 pm
So generally, what you're saying is is the width of the isometric board is stretching across to be able to touch each side of the canvas, the height of it will be unable to?

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 08:46:36 pm
If you insist on a square canvas, one single conventional isometric platform can never touch all four boarders. But how is that even relevant? Neither do you have to use a square canvas, nor does your piece have to use up the whole space to the last pixel. Just pixel away, and when you're done, crop it so much that there is not unnecessarily much unused space left.

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 01:36:11 am
Well, as far as relevancy I just wanted to learn as much as possible and that's been bugging me seriously for a while now. Other than that I looked up some things on pixelart.com concerning ratios for isometric and it looks wonderful.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 11:28:57 am
without meaning to offend, i'd just like to offer that isometric art can be very difficult for a pixelart beginner, or someone who has no worked with projections before.  An understanding of form and volume and point of view is simply a prerequisit.  I'm not saying you cannot handle it, but the basic concepts - horizontal and vertical distortion and three-dimensions represented on a two-dimensional surface, smooth representations of strangely angled lines and curves etc...they dont seem to be "there" for you just yet, not if you are asking questions at this stage. 

Because isometric is so tedious for those who have a grasp of it, i would strongly urge you to hold off and practice other methods before sinking a lot of time into an isometric project that may not turn out the way you like.  If you do want to go into isometric right now, i would say jump in head-long and don't ask - discover - you'll learn a lot more about it if you recognize the underlying principles of why a perceived square seen at an angle cannot fill a perfect square.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 04:00:44 am
Ah, no offense taken Adarias. I appreciate your insight as you seem to be quite experienced with the isometric view of gameplay and pixeling. It's not that I really wanted to hop headlong into it just yet, just had a few questions and things to ask.

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 09:47:24 pm
Bump, so I've tried like making some blank isometric tiles and was wondering if I was anywhere near corret with the 2:1 ratio.