AuthorTopic: Side-view character; having trouble with shading  (Read 7129 times)

Offline Mistajaye

• Jason Andrew Buividas
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • https://t.me/pump_upp
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • View Profile
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !

Re: Side-view character; having trouble with shading

Reply #10 on: November 18, 2019, 03:23:26 am
Actually I Dig your Advice my Man mr MysteryMeat. Great Tips! No doubt yo! Believe it.

Offline SilverBrick

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: November 18, 2019, 04:09:33 am
-Snip-

No problem, I’ve made similar mistakes before. I apologise for getting defensive.

I tried to mess with the torso, arms and face a bit here (left is old, right is new):

Still not quite sure about it, I guess I’ll sleep on it.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #12 on: November 18, 2019, 06:16:50 pm
That improved the flow on the torso a lot! I think the next thing to consider here is the shading, I don't think the dithering quite works at this scale and makes it look textured. It's most noticeable on the skirt.

Here's two edits I did; one "clustering" the shading up so it's less coarse, and a second more intense edit where I reshaped the shading and a bit of the form:

One big thing I did was remove the divot in the skirt in favor of the impression of "folds" from where the fabric is pulled taut by her thighs.

I also tweaked her face and hair shading, as well as making the pointer and index finger knuckles "bump out" a bit.
(Samurai jack's later seasons do this a lot, and I just love how they handle hands in that show. check the spoiler for a good fan study of said hands as the official sheet changed in later seasons and isn't available on google as far as I can tell)

(also yeah, happens to the best of us haha, I've had my own fair share of defensive attitudes)
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline SilverBrick

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: November 18, 2019, 08:50:49 pm
That improved the flow on the torso a lot! I think the next thing to consider here is the shading, I don't think the dithering quite works at this scale and makes it look textured. It's most noticeable on the skirt.

Here's two edits I did; one "clustering" the shading up so it's less coarse, and a second more intense edit where I reshaped the shading and a bit of the form:

One big thing I did was remove the divot in the skirt in favor of the impression of "folds" from where the fabric is pulled taut by her thighs.

I also tweaked her face and hair shading, as well as making the pointer and index finger knuckles "bump out" a bit.
(Samurai jack's later seasons do this a lot, and I just love how they handle hands in that show. check the spoiler for a good fan study of said hands as the official sheet changed in later seasons and isn't available on google as far as I can tell)

(also yeah, happens to the best of us haha, I've had my own fair share of defensive attitudes)

The character’s actually nonbinary, and it’s supposed to be ambiguous whether they’re wearing a skirt or baggy shorts - hence the divot. (I think I did a pretty good job of that, considering you called them female and Mistajaye called them male)

I like the shading for the arms and face on your first edit, but honestly I prefer the textured look of the dithering. It makes the skirt/shorts feel floatier to me, stops the hair looking like individual strands and gives the impression of creasing on the shirt. Maybe I’ll find it looks bad in an animation/game and get rid of it then, but I’ll keep it for now. I think it’s just a matter of personal preference at this scale, and I don’t mind the graininess.

The hands are interesting and might be something I use for other characters, but I want to give the impression that this person is more pragmatic than refined. They have no martial arts training; they just hit things where they think it’ll hurt.

Offline SilverBrick

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: November 18, 2019, 09:14:31 pm
Alright, here’s an ultra-quick edit I made:

Offline Mistajaye

• Jason Andrew Buividas
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • https://t.me/pump_upp
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • View Profile
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !

Reply #15 on: November 20, 2019, 03:24:49 am
HAHA, I think that's a WINNER! Believe it. Excellent form of pixel purrrrfection meow. the Colors and Dithering and Sexy lighting effects does this piece JUSTICE. Cannot wait to see the final Product my Man.

and yeah, definitely a Male IMO could be a Female though, and I was about to say Female at first too Mystery ROFL. But then I double glanced at the chest area and BAM nothing was telling me Female... Now though Maybe She or He was still in their Kiddo years and haven't fully developed I did not know. With that said~ I am curious to see more of the Game Silver!, Could you do us an Honor and leak some more Pics pwease. or e-mail me via jason.buividas@gmail.com ~ if u wanna be discreet and all dat jazz. And I understand if you don't want to at all. At least I tried. LOL that I did. *blushes

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #16 on: November 21, 2019, 06:55:26 am
[redacted e-rp]

please do not role-play on the board

Offline loni_art

• bwaha
    • loni_art
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/48336.htm
    • loni-art
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #17 on: November 24, 2019, 03:41:05 am
hey, i did an edit

heres a recording on how i did it

my main goal was to cohese the colors further, i fused some of the ramps, shortened some, also tried to give more weight to the character, both in thickness and pose, i also simplified the shading further, to only show the necessary form, that way its more easier to work with
repeat on repeat

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #18 on: November 24, 2019, 05:30:59 am
excellent edit, showcases a lot of what I was trying to in mine and a bit more besides!