AuthorTopic: Current Pixels from PB yo!  (Read 4660 times)

Offline pixelblink

• View Profile
    • pixeljoint

Current Pixels from PB yo!

on: October 25, 2005, 03:48:59 am
This guy is far from finished. I still need to add some variation in colours and yeah yeah, I know he's so symmetrical... that's how I do em yo!

This dude's pretty much finished but, I was thinking of adding a body to him. I've no idea where to go from here though. Any suggestions as to a body type?

Peace out

Offline Dan

• "Haha The Man"
    • View Profile

Re: Current Pixels from PB yo!

Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 11:15:21 am
I was looking at your blue man and before i read the text i thought to my self - "That would look good with a little body" Then i saw that you wanted suggestions. ;) Well i would say a small body with a fatish belly and long arms. That would give him some character.

Some critique for the blue head - On our right the head needs some AA like it does have on our left :S

Apart from that well done i like both pieces.

Thank you,

Dan
That's the way the cookie crumbles. - Do the bug bob.     - Woot!

Offline CrematedPumpkin

• Lord of the Fjord
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 08:00:55 pm
Really thin arms and legs, then a fat belly is what I think. I really like them, good job.
I.....am......me............

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 09:33:40 pm
Some things that seem odd with the yellow bug thing to me:
-dithering isn't used consistently. Sort of gives this an unfinished feel. Might want to watch this as it makes the body and head seem like two different materials.
- mono-hue = bad. Spice that hue up; highlights toward yellow, shadows toward purple(meant to be a general guide only). Good colour palettes can make a piece seem 10 tiems better.
-mouth. I think you would be better off removing the white highlight inside the mouth and maybe using darker coours. I think it would make the form of the mouth come out more.
-the outlines could use some selout and AA.
-concerning the dithering on the head, I think less dithering would be a better choice, especially with the white highlight.
-legs should have some shading. It would look better imo.

Offline crab2selout.png

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 29, 2005, 12:58:49 am

An edit to give you some ideas on how to improve

-added a 0 luminance black for the eyes, on the wings and feet. Looks better to me with the extra colour
-limited use of dithering. I think less dithering works better on an insectoid as it makes the exoskeleton material come across better
-changed the lineart in a couple places to offset the mirroring effect. Added little subtle shading bits to do this as well.
-added selout and more AA.
-made the base hue more varied for each shade. You can see that it really does add to the image.
-added shading on to the legs. Looks much better than just leaving them flat if you ask me.
-on the top of hte mouth thing, you'll notice with the darker shades, showing wrinkle/ridges, that they curve to follow the mouth. this helps to bring out the shape of the mouth better so it doesn't look as flat like your version.
-lightsource was moved upwards
-I removed the ridges around his eyes. I tried a couple times to get something to work there, but with everything else done I decided to just screw it and post it as it was. Maybe you can get something working. The primary problem in your version is that the ridges are just dark lines, you weren't really paying enough attention to your lightsource and how that would make them look.

Offline pixelblink

• View Profile
    • pixeljoint

Reply #5 on: October 29, 2005, 02:34:29 am
wow! Now that's help! Thank you alot. Of course this guy was fully unfinished and I had only begun to start the body for him. You've given alot of awesome ideas and suggestions to work with. It's gonna help alot for my next update which should be within a day or so. Thanx again!

Offline crab2selout.png

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 29, 2005, 10:37:01 pm
Happy to help.

Offline sedgemonkey

• Gimme gimme gimme
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Joint

Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 07:25:26 pm
crab2selout.png really picked some great points out and his edits look sharp, but I'd have to say that the eyes are not as appealing to me now.  Also, I'd like to see you rework the ridges around the eyes.