AuthorTopic: need help feminizing  (Read 14754 times)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Re: need help feminizing

Reply #20 on: May 09, 2007, 08:17:37 pm
I think the new one looks as though she's frightened, most likely because the iris isn't filling up all of th white, giving her sort of a fully-opened eye expression. I can't say I like the change made to the nose either, it looks a bit too flattened. I think you could adapt the shape of Helm's lips without making as large either, as yours seems to have lost the female-like look.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #21 on: May 09, 2007, 08:40:09 pm
The reason I took the value of that shadow at the tip of the lips/under the cheek significantly up is because now it seems like the cheek is caving in, and flapping up again for the chin, which I personally find unattractive. I think the nose is a bit flat. I can't exactly go on and on with critique because I'll be basically describing my edit, so that's redundant.

edit: actually a pertinent question in the latest edit is... where is the lightsource coming from? I get that it's mostly washy daylight, but still, I am now confused. I thought it was on the top-left when I edited, so I added the nose shadow, did the edge enhance on the thing between the nose and the lips, but now... it's a bit blanket-shaded.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 08:41:50 pm by Helm »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: May 09, 2007, 08:49:29 pm

I'm getting so lost now.  Marco? ....Marco?

Warning - while you were reading a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

the cheek is caving in, and flapping up again for the chin
Isn't that what most faces do once they lose their "baby-fat"?
it was on the top-left
yes
but now... it's a bit blanket-shaded.
fuck!.....will try to fix that as i go now

at 1x, she seems too severe because of the blur, at 2x slightly better, at 3x shes startled again >.<
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 08:58:31 pm by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #23 on: May 09, 2007, 08:55:07 pm
Well... no [about cheek]. Let's look at a bit of reference.

See that under washy light conditions, it doesn't pay to emphasize that part with anything but a really really subtle shadow. It's not a flap, it's a surface. What pretty lips.

Under more harsh light you still have clear surface and sharp contour to the light on the chin. it's not gradienty, therefore not a flab. Lovely girl.

This one is useful because it's mirrored but the same lighting conditions almost facial position as yours. Use it for justice.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: May 09, 2007, 09:10:25 pm
thanks - looked at those for a bit, and now that i look at actual references they are rather humbling ^^

anything close to the right direction yet? :P
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline fork_in_toaster

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: May 10, 2007, 12:17:13 am
Hi there, I feel kinda silly editing this, especially when i came back to post this and i discovered that a mogillion more edits and improvements have been made, and also you always do such nice work adarias :Q

it was a lot rougher when i edited it and it still is super rough, i just painted around.  i think it helps to take the hair out of the eyes first to see what's going on with the whole face and then put it back on top.  i played around with the eye size and position - i like #2 (the first edit there).  in fact i don't really like the other two and also the sparkle in the eye might be kind of gay and maybe the eyes are out of alignment.  i don't think i expressed it very well, but i think you have to deal with the hardness of the nose up by the eyes and move the eye in from the side of the face slightly.  i dunno if this helps.

i really like what you did right above the lip, like you know that little bumpy bit people have, i like how you emphasized it in your later ones. and the latest version is looking very good :)

Offline ep

• View Profile
    • my deviantArt

Reply #26 on: May 10, 2007, 05:47:23 am
It definitely appears more feminine in the latest versions, but I can't help but wonder about the hair, each time I look at it the way the hair comes down to cover just bugs me, it seems like it should start at a closer to horizontal and curve to the vertical and back, as opposed to the way it drops immediately down, it just seems to far to the right for that type of a drop, to me.  Even a single pixel change (highest light pixel on the straight right edge of the brighter hair) to the shadow makes it seem a little more natural to me.  Something minor but it really throws it off for me :P

your last post, second from the right, the lips seem to fit the face the best, the next one to the right is alright as well but the lips seem a little to stretched.

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: May 10, 2007, 07:20:08 am
Go back to jj's edit and copy.
It has a much nicer eye/nose/mouth combo than all the others.

Offline dragonrc

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: May 10, 2007, 08:19:02 am
I made a small edit:

yours      mine

I changed the mouth, the eye and the nose. It might help you a bit

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #29 on: May 10, 2007, 08:49:54 am
The pupil tends to look very intense, pin-like. I've noticed that this problem can be played down by exaggerating the shadow cast by the eyelashes on the upper part of the white of the eye.