AuthorTopic: [WIP] Egg  (Read 3830 times)

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

[WIP] Egg

on: May 03, 2007, 09:16:36 pm
So I wanted to take on something I could actually DO, or rather finish a piece. So I decided to try and make something simple...an EGG! I think the dithering I did really gets the details and sort of rough look I was going for and I love it. But I think it's missing something and I know you guys can help me find it! Major C + C is needed and thanks in advance!

Offline Chalk

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Egg

Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 09:09:54 pm
hey that's a pretty good start you have going on there.  But you know an egg is actually far more difficult then you might think. a couple of suggestions i would have is to lighten up the colors a bit. and instead of moving down the colors to just make it darker try using cooler colors. and maybe some reflected light could really make your egg awesome. hope this helps some.

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 10:06:42 pm
Ah yeah, that actually helps quite a bit and I have an idea about what to do with it already.

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 10:29:12 pm
Lightened the colors some and tried to add somewhat of a shine around the side of it.

I'm not much liking the way it's looking but what do you guys things? :[

Offline Jake

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 09:09:52 pm
the shading is really flat.

heres an edit:

« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 12:03:49 am by Jake »

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 07:46:24 am
I decided to do an edit of your egg, A) to help, and B) because i wanted to give shading such an odd shape a go.

==>

I've taken the principles of shading a two colour sphere here useing your 7 colour pallet.

First thing you should notice is that i changed the lighting angle, its now abit to the front and top left. That was an accadent... xP I'm just used to useing the top left as my lighting source and didn't really even think about it as i was pixeling.

BUT YES, back on topic. You've a really good start, and you seem to have the basics of dithering down pat. Verry nice to see. The main problem i found with your egg was that you shaded it as if it was a totally flat surface. No curves in the shading, the dark colours don't creep up the side of the egg and the light colours don't reflect back from the surface its sitting on as ambiant lighting. This means that your egg looks flat and verry 2D, instead of the 3D object it is.

Try zooming in on my edit and looking at the way i placed individual pixels and try figuring out why. Don't try to copy it pixel for pixel but get the basic principle of reflection and curve. This is not saying mine is shaded the best it could be but yeah. Try to get the principles down. Honestly i recomend trying to shade a sphere in two colours to practice. After awhile of doing that the tecnique should become second nature and you should find it easy to apply the principles to any curved shape.